LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin_G

Show both cases of a True/False Case Structure

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I find it takes a lot of clicking to examine LabVIEW code to understand what the code actually does.  One such place that code is hidden is within a case structure. 

Particularly for simple case structures, with only true/false conditions, it would be great to show both cases of the case structure on the diagram at the same time.  This would help avoid users clicking through cases to review code, and would certainly help make printed-on-paper LV diagrams more useful.

Here's an example of such a case structure:

both_cases_shown.png

as opposed to the current behavior, where either the True or the False case is shown at a given time. 

Note: I'm presuming LabVIEW's editor wouldn't allow the user to edit in the 'gray area' in the mockup above, and there are surely some details to work out in terms of how wiring those tunnels would work.  But this would be cool to make a reality!

Darin Gillis
NI - Chief Product Owner - VeriStand
9 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

I don't like the wires that point nowhere. Imagine you have 20 cases!

For complicates structures with many connectors, it would be a mess, and for very simple cases you don't need to use a case structure. Simply wire both scenarios in parallel and and use a select primitive, for example. 

elset191
Active Participant

You mention a lot of clicking.  Perhaps you are not aware that you can ctrl+scroll to cycle through cases of a structure?  Then again, perhaps you are.  Never hurts to point out shortcuts though, someone out there reading this doesn't know it.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Manzolli
Active Participant

This is something I really want for a long time. I never came up with a nice way of doing it. The way the idea of seeing multiple cases at once is no good, agree with altenbach.

How about using something alike Windows Aero? I think this should be only for visualization, not for editing.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

How about using something alike Windows Aero? I think this should be only for visualization, not for editing.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Case-Structure-Navigation/idi-p/1160707

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Although it is of no real benefit to a two frame case structure, Jim Carmody's CaseSelect Tool is awesome for large state machines. I realize this does not give what you are asking for - the ability to see multiple cases simultaniously. But it does help especially if the states have descriptive names.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Have you seen LEGO Mindstorms NXT? The software is actually LabVIEW -- we put a new skin on our language for the kids. In that environment, the case structure, shown below, has the frames above and below. It works because there's almost always only one wire -- the sequence wire, which looks like a LEGO beam -- going in or coming out of the structure. I find that it is kind of a pain to work with when you start adding additional tunnels. Thoughts?

MindstormsCase.png

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

> Thoughts?

I'd probably use NXC on my Mindstorms before NXT-G.  Smiley Tongue

PJM_Labview
Active Participant

For simple True/False logic one could use the select primitive (9-26-2011 9-48-01 AM.png). This has the advantage that everything is visible. Of course this might result in extra data copy and a potentially slower performance (since both case are evaluated). In most situations I found that the improved maintainability is well worth the performance penalty.

Note: using the select primitive will not work in the post example since the wait is conditional.

vipm.io | jki.net

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.