From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_E

Case Structure Navigation

Case structures should have an easy to use Navigation like multiple grouped windows have in Windows 7. If a window is grouped in Windows 7 you will get a nice window that allows you to view what is in each window and navigate to the one that you want.

This would be very beneficial in LabVIEW for case structures.

It would look like the attached:

17469iE27B0A3BAAC5664F

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
3 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

1. I could go for this! This would make it easier to troubleshoot code that uses the "Decrement" primitive in a case called "Plus1". 😉

2. It would be necessary to show a reduced size code screenshot, because most case structures are much larger.

3. Same feature for Event Structures (but not Stacked Sequence structures... they get no love)

4. Things like this would make LabVIEW a more comfortable and natural IDE, but on my docket they typically come second priority to features that enhance progamming capability. Nonetheless, IDE navigation becomes more fluent, so Kudos.

altenbach
Knight of NI

I'd go for that with some reservations:

* The little titles (Case 1, Case 2, etc.) should be replaced by the actual name of the case (Add, Subtract, ..)

* Some of my code would have way too many cases/events for this though, so, exactly like in Windows 7, it would turn into a list above a certain threshold.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

altenbach, I considered point 2 as well, but this unfortunately is no better than the current case structure listing. Keeping with the image preview, how about two arrows on the left and right that scrolled through the cases, or a horizontal scrollbar...