LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthias_H

Revision of many VIs written by NI (usage of the error cluster)

Hello,

I'm telling my strudents how they should use the error cluster and how important it is. In subvis no error dialogs should be shown and so on (see topics of LabVIEW Core 1 / Core 2).

But many VIs written by NI have been programmed very sloppy.

Example: VI "Write into spreadsheet file". The error cluster is not wired to the inputs/outputs and if an error occures, an error dialog would pop up. Here is the block diagram of your V "Write into spreadsheet file"I:

spreadsheed_file.PNG

Please check all of your VIs and do a revision that we can make well-coded applications where the error handling will work correctly.

Regards

13 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

We've been screaming for this for years.  There are just a lot of VIs in there that are really old and the priority has not been to clean them up or make them more efficient.  I'll be surpised if this or similar isn't already in the Idea Exchange.  I'm just too lazy right now to do a full search.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

More specifically, these VIs should be deprecated and have newer cleaner versions replacing them in the palettes.

Trusted Enthusiast

Does this ring a bell?

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Ha, and that's just from April.  How soon we forget...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I don't think this is the same. The previous idea talks about VIs with error code outputs and how they should be replaced with clusters. This one talks about VIs which have internal error handling (and I would add bad connector panes to that).

Trusted Enthusiast

Agreed. I just meant that this pertains to the same category of sloppy code inherited from way back then. NI should spend one release cycle to clean their act and address all open CARs before adding a new hue of pink to the color palette...

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

X., that is a great idea. I know some people have been complaining that new versions of LabVIEW come out too frequently. Spending one cycle on "house cleaning" might be a very good idea. And please fix some of the really bad code in the example finder. New LabVIEW programmers can pick up some very nasty habbits using a few of the examples that ship with LabVIEW.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

johnsold
Knight of NI

A general cleaning of VIs to conform to modern style guides is a good idea.  It would be necessary to keep the old clunkers around for a while to avoid breaking legacy code as it is updated, but the "This VI is deprecated; switch to a newer one" message could be added easily.

I have considered suggesting turning Forum participants loose on this followed by a review by NI LV R&D, but that might be more work for NI than havnig some interns learn LV best practices by fixing the old stuff.

Lynn

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Totally agree, Matthias H

Many VIs from NI would fail in a CLD or CLA Test

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Good suggestion.  An interesting exercise would be to post what was wrong with the example and the improved version.