LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SerjsVIEW

Faster VI development by suggesting VI name as entered in icon when saving the new VI

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. By default, a new GVI's icon will contain text matching the file name of the GVI.

When developing new VIs f the procedure is usually the following:

1. right-click class or desired location, new VI (static or dynamic dispatch template etc.)

2. Implement functionallity

3. Edit VI icon for easier recognition

4. Save VI

The problem here is that usually the icon allready contains the ideal name for the VI which means I am typing the name of the VI twice, once when editing the the icon and once when saving.

Would it not reduce the development-time by suggesting the name entered in the VI icon editing procedure as the user attempts to save the VI?

I'm currently expanding a large SA with 270 classes and on good days I implement 20-30 VIs and would find it nice if I were not forced to type the name twice.

Interested what experienced LV-users think of this suggestion!?

"Anything can be done if you only think about it hard enough..."
"... truth is a lie in disguise!"
10 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Nice.  But I'm not sure how helpful this would be.

I tend to save my VI's long before I get around to editing the icon.

SerjsVIEW

Thats interesting, so you are right: in your case this feature would not improve the development...

...unless of course this feature were implemented and you came to like it, then icon editing might be priorized and following this would lead to cleaner, more readable LabVIEW VIs which might be more understandable without "peeking" inside and by this  reducing valuable development time. 

In this case the feature would be nice in the other direction:

when saving the VI before editing the icon, an update of the icon containing the name given might even be more helpfull then my initial suggestion. This i.m.o. is the most sensible icon technique.

Making the naming of the icon an optional task if you do not want to mess around with creating icons.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

RavensFan
Knight of NI

So far, 0 kudoes.  But it has gone fromiIdea proposal to In Development in less than 6 hours.  Contratulations!  Smiley Very Happy

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

As you might suspect, that means this was already in development.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

@AristosQueue (NI) wrote:
As you might suspect, that means this was already in development.

And I just figured you guys were sitting around waiting for the next great idea to come along and were eager to jump on it.  Smiley Very Happy

SerjsVIEW

Great stuff!

Thanks to Darren and AristosQueue for their eagle eyes in the forums!

I'm not hunting for Kudos I just want to make LV more productive.

Blokk
Trusted Enthusiast

I also mostly start with the icon, and then saving the new VI...Kudo!

SerjsVIEW

Finally: someone who does this and admitts it officially, I thought that I was the only odd-ball programming like that.

I think your approval as well as AristosQueue and Darrens oppinion (no ranking intended) express the need for such a feature in LV.

Thanks for the Kudos!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. By default, a new GVI's icon will contain text matching the file name of the GVI.