LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parthabe

Improvements for the "Save Changes?" dialog

I've been wondering for years now why the LV Save (& Save All) dialog is quite unusual in terms of its layout & usability.

Redesign the "Save Changes?" dialogin accordance with the standard dialog design criteria as follows.

• Resize the dialog to be somewhat bigger than now.
  • Place the Apply same action checkbox & the Affected items list at the top half of the dialog. Remove these items from the tabbing list, so the user can easily tab among the other 3 buttons, with Save highlighted by default.
  • The Affected items list is not sorted properly, but in the Explain Changes dialog, it seems the VI List is alphabatically sorted. So when you select a VI in  the Affected Items list & click the "List unsaved changes..." hyperlink-like text, the selections are confusing to the user. PFB snapshot.

Save Changes Dialog.jpg

• Additionally, the selection in the Affected Items list is not actually a selection, but looks like only a marquee. It gives a false impression that the selected item can be edited. Fix this.
  • Make the Affected Items list to be vertically scrollable, instead of the current horizontally scrollable style, which is highly cumbersome.
  • Change the "List unsaved changes..." hyperlink-like text into a button that is prominently visible. New users think that this would open a web browser.
  • Place the Save (All), Defer Decision / Don't Save (All) & Cancel buttons at the bottm right of the dialog in a horizontal fashion.
  • Add the Help button, like in many other dialogs in LV.
  • Keep the name of the dialog to be consistent - "Save changes before closing?", instead of like "Save changes? (Close Project)" - The Close Project text is misleading.
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
4 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

@parthabe wrote:
  • Keep the name of the dialog to be consistent - "Save changes before closing?", instead of like "Save changes? (Close Project)" - The Close Project text is misleading.

I'm confused by this one.  I don't see where either of the dialogs shown is talking about "Close Project'.

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

I meant the dialog popped up (see below a snapshot) when trying to close a Project with unsaved changes, not either of the above.

Save Changes (Close Project) Dialog.jpg

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
d.w.b

I'll be happier with just the window being resizable, so affected items are easier to see. I suggest vertical scroll bar instead of horizontall.

d.w.b

Make double-clicking one of the "Affected items" open it. One scenario is when there are MANY to save but one or a few not to (see "Spec" in screenshot below). Unchecking "Apply same action to the remaining ... affected items" could take a long time and risk a mis-click. If one to discard is opened, it could be closed separately (or revert changes) to exclude it from the list so "Save - All" could be used.

dwb_0-1699992876408.png