LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Expand Event structure functionality: conditional events

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

Hello everybody,

(as suggested I will separate my idea Expand the functionality of Event structures into four seperate ideas to allow giving kudos separately.)

Make it possible to add conditions to events, e.g. only allow event foo, if condition bar is True. I'm not sure, how this should look like. Some static conditions could be "key pressed == a" coupled with "key down" event. Conditions could also be coupled to controls via registering the control reference like dynamic events. If my idea Expand Event structure functionality: Register new types of references is realized, a condition could also be something like "tcp/ip connection is offline". If a condition is not fullfilled, than either nothing happens or there is a leftside node, which indicates the status of the condition. This should be configurable.

Regards,

Marc

CLD
2 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Same remark as in other related suggestions of yours: unless firing those events is draining the CPU, you can handle this kind of situation better by using a separate parallel loop to handle the action triggered by the events. In any case, even with this option implemented, if the even is fired a zillion times per second (and thus bogging down the CPU), the coniditonal testing would still be consuming lots of CPU, so that doesn't really sound like a viable functionality, unless the LV engine could update its list of events to monitor dynamically... Well I guess you've come to that conclusion too. As far as TCP/IP or DAQ tasks are concerned, I commented in one of your other suggestion thread that it may not be the best place (the event structure loop that is) to handle those.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.