LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
falkpl

Add label to wires

Available in NI LabVIEW 2010

Why dont wires have an optional label associated with them.  Style guides have use label long wires but wires have to be moved often during development, and the labels are not fixed to the wire.  This should be maintained for us.  Right click on wire and add label, with ability to lock label to wire source, wire midpoint or wire destination.

Message Edited by Support on 06-03-2009 03:26 PM
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
18 Comments
Tom_Hawkins
Good idea, but it's spelled 'label' - can you edit your post?
falkpl
Trusted Enthusiast
Thanks I cant seem to edit my post.  I cant spell so I program graphically.  If anyone knows how to edit posts let me know.
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
altenbach
Knight of NI
You can only edit the post for a limited time after posting. To make changes later, click "idea options", select "report to a moderator" and have Laura correct it for you. 😉 
altenbach
Knight of NI

In addition, we should be able to hide the label. A wire label can be useful even if we don't normally see it.

For example let's look at the code of the fitting model here. The various intermediary results could be wire labels to replace the current free labels. After all, it's the wire itself that contains these values.

Even if the wire label is hidden, it should show as a tip strip if we hover over the wire, for example aiding us to connect to the correct wire without the need to follow it to the source to make sure we pick the right one.

If we place a probe, the probe should have the same name as the wire label so debugging is more intuitive.

falkpl
Trusted Enthusiast
Tip strips would be a great addition, where the lable would showup when hovering over the wire.  really help with spagetti code, allowing us to nolonger chase the entire wire but just look at the tip strip near the terminals and determine the wire name quickly. 
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
JÞB
Knight of NI
Wow, hover and see label.  I bet it would be even nicer to see VI documentation for uncoerced wires sourced from a type-def control.  Lets make it happen!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
InternationAL

I may want a label to exist at all three positions (source, midpoint, destination).  So, I hope it is not one label per wire, at only one of the locations.  Maybe it is one label string, but hopefully you can show it at multiple locations.

Also, is it midpoint of the total length of wire?  Midpoint of the longest horizontal segment?  Vertical segment?  What if wires go into loops or case structures?  What if the wire branches many times?  How do you calculate total length in any or all of these cases?  Label each branch or show the label on the wire in each case?  Should it be a smart wire label, that makes sure it is always visible, as you scroll around in the diagram?  Maybe we need to offer some specific ideas to R&D for how to handle all of this, since I can see why this hasn't been done already.  NI may be having trouble figuring out how to pull this off.

I bet NI would have liked to implement this long ago, but just can't figure out how.  Some specifics on how to do it would probably help out.

I love the idea, though.

Message Edited by InternationAL on 07-15-2009 09:41 AM
HLB
Label association with a wire is needed.  We also need to be able to edit the wire name through that process.
Chris_in_Colorado

I love the Hover idea.

But always visible is key too.

How has this been missing so long? 

Fire
I am using the "Description and Tip..." to document wires and display the context help to view the description. But, unfortunately the Tip is disabled. Holger