From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FabiolaDelaCueva

Automatically open block diagram when debugging an application using "Operate>>Debug Application or Shared Library..." menu

Background:

Every time I debug a stand alone application I want to have access to the block diagram so I can add breakpoints, probes, highlight execution, etc. I also need to have access to my customized run-time menus.

IDEA:

I would like for the block diagram to open up at the same time as the front panel of the remote application opens up when I am debugging a stand alone application. And I want to have access to the application's custom run-time menu.

Current behavior:

I attached a simple add application that demonstrates the current behavior, and here is a video

If the executable was built using the advanced options of "Enable debugging" and "Wait for debugger on launch", then when clicking on the menu option in LabVIEW "Operate>>Debug Application or Shared Library...", as soon as the front panel loads, we can click on the Window menu and open the Block Diagram and then click on the run arrow. However, we don't have access to custom run-time menu.

If the application was built using only the "Enable debugging", but not the "Wait for debugger on launch", then the front panel loads, the application is already running and we have access to the custom run-time menu, but we can not open the Block Diagram.

In "Remotely debugging executables in LabVIEW" there is a picture at the end with a right click menu that gives the options to "Show Block Diagram" or "Quit debug session". However in LabVIEW 2010 the only option is to "Quit debug session" and if the built application programatically controls right-click then, the menu doesn't even come up. Having the block diagram open automatically would solve this problem, the "Quit debug session" still shows up by right clicking on an empty area of the Block Diagram.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
2 Comments
peter

Yes, I have the same problem.

Nobody addressed this issue since 2011?

Alex-D
NI Employee (retired)

This issue has been fixed in 2012 by adding a Right Click Menu item to the Front Panel of the remote execuitable. 

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments