LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan_Wright_

Automatically Pass Existing Wires Through or Wire Up to Newly Placed Structures

Often, I have wires already on a block diagram and I want to add a new structure (case, flat sequence, etc.) that utilizes those wires internal to the structure or in some cases passes them completely through the structure. For example, consider needing to implement data flow for a node that has no error input and output, such as when using the Wait (ms) function. To implement data flow when using this function, I might place it in a flat sequence with a single frame and pass an error wire through it as shown:

Ryan_Wright__1-1708013874803.png

If the wire already exists and you try to put a new structure over the top of it (using the same example referenced above), you get the following behavior:

Ryan_Wright__2-1708013992633.png

It would be really nice if LabVIEW would automatically pass the wire through the structure or at least wire up to the left border when doing this as shown in the following pictures:

Ryan_Wright__3-1708014077542.png

Ryan_Wright__4-1708014170821.png

The automatic wiring behavior of whether to pass the wire completely through the new structure or to only wire to the left border could be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for each structure (For Loop, While Loop, Case Structure, Event Structure, Flat Sequence, Diagram Disable Structure, Conditional Disable Structure, etc.).

4 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI
Ryan_Wright_

I think you are right. Thanks for pointing this out. I searched to see if this suggestion already existed before I posted my idea but I must not have used the right keywords in my search.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>I searched to see if this suggestion already existed before I posted my idea but I must not have used the right keywords in my search.

No worries, that happens a lot. It happened to me too 

CuriousSwede

I like your idea 😀

PS. Regarding your Wait (ms) example; below is one of the first VIs I ever created.

As a bonus the smaller footprint of the icon also allows the VI to be inserted between two VIs, with e.g. refnum wires, and still keep the refnum wires without bends.

CuriousSwede_2-1709220745482.png

CuriousSwede_1-1709220627546.png