LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tst

Adding CONSTs to LabVIEW

I would love it if LabVIEW had logical constants, similar to what other languages have. Basically, a logical constant is similar to a variable (i.e. it's a value which is assigned a name), but its value is set at compile time. CONSTs help code readability.

In LabVIEW, a CONST would basically be similar to a global variable, with two differences:

1. It would be read only (so no race conditions, everyone can relax).

2. Changing the value on the front panel of the CONST VI will automatically require the user to save the VI, without needing to manually set the new value as the default.

Today, you can implement these in LabVIEW using all kinds of methods, but non of them is as convenient as this.

Knight of NI

Could that be something like an "even stricter type definition" (I am sure we can find a better word! :D), that also includes the value as fixed?

Changing the value would involve editing the ctl (or whatever it will be called).

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I don't want to have a separate file for each CONST. We can do that today by having a subVI.

Two advantages globals have over this is that you can have several in a single file and that their name is prominent in the diagram.

It almost seems like when you define constants in a Declarations section of a text based language like VB.  It is code in some ways never really runs, but its presence in the file has meaning to a compiler.

This leads to some other questions.  In text based languages, you can define consts as being global/local, or public/private.  How would you implement that in a LabVIEW VI.  If you define a constant in an upper level VI, is the definition of that constant available to all subVI's the upper level VI calls?

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Implementation: Simply have a right click menu item called "Read Only" on the Global definition, and use the already-present functionality of "Make Current Value Default". Would that be a viable solution, tst?
Intaris
Proven Zealot

You can also have a single VI outputting a cluster with all your Constants in it so the VI count increases by one only, not one per constant.

I see the convenience but I question the benefit.

tst
Knight of NI

> use the already-present functionality of "Make Current Value Default". Would that be a viable solution, tst?

Only if you don't have to manually set the new value to be default.

> I see the convenience but I question the benefit.

You're absolutely right. This is more about convenience, but there is also a benefit in the final appearance of the code:

Consts.png

In any case, convenience is also important. It might not make business sense, but I'm sure many of LV's regular users wouldn't mind if NI dropped off the new features race for a year and focused on bugs and usability.

In all seriousness, this is the core of my participation on the Idea Exchange: "It might not make business sense, but I'm sure many of LV's regular users wouldn't mind if NI dropped off the new features race for a year and focused on bugs and usability."
LabBEAN
Active Participant
Ditto.  And, I enjoy learning from the feedback on the various ideas (e.g. Christian's coercion post).  We'll see if their listening... 😄

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
altenbach
Knight of NI
Even NI has not fully embraced the concept of "constants". The ones in the numeric palette are fine (Pi, etc.), but have you ever double-clicked the "space constant" from the string palette? 😄
tst
Knight of NI

> ...but have you ever double-clicked the "space constant" from the string palette?

I have noticed it's a VI in the past. That's probably because it's easier to create a VI than the relevant C code. It's the same thing with the True constant in the boolean palette (the constant itself is not a VI, but it's placed in a merge VI). In any case, creating something like that once for merging on a palette is not the same as the needs you have in everyday development.