BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

Well three weeks later, three attempts to get the drain sealed and then multiple sessions of running the ram pump and...

The pond runneth over.

The pond is about 49' above where the ram pump is located. I had been working to graduate the pond with markers every 5 gallons but the number of rains storms that have moved through off my accounting so I will have to settle for an uncalibrated pond for now. The trees are keeping the algae growth to a minimum but I still have to deal with the mosquitos tonight by adding some fish to the pond.

WHile the pond at the top of The Ridge is a nice landscape feature, the cahce of water for the gardens delivered using a completely "green" approach is just way cool. In the big picture the collection pond/ram pump combination is actually solar powered. The sun evaporates the water, it rains in the watershed of eh collection pond and the conseravtion of momentum moves it up the hill. Excess water flows back into the same watershed it came from.

Some lily pads and some fish and the granddaughters should have fun as well.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1411 of 2,258
(11,165 Views)

Turns out I have no access no LabVIEW software. Sorry I can’t be of any help with [REDACTED]. L But let me know if there is anything else I can do

This came from one of our interns.  This one has experience with VBA, so LabVIEW should be easy to pick up.  Right?

It seems that, if you have a dime, you should be able to buy me and eleven of my peers.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 1412 of 2,258
(11,094 Views)

RebuiltWaterfall.jpgI have to confess I am excited this afternoon. I should find a solar powered water pump (with batteries and controller) waiting on my front door step when I get home to run the re-built waterfall for the holding pond at the top of The Ridge. It gets hard to tell the difference between playing, experimenting, and learning when you get to my age.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1413 of 2,258
(11,047 Views)

I am testing out this new button for the first time and may as well share some philosphy while I am at it.

Ben

Message 1414 of 2,258
(11,008 Views)

Ben wrote:

I am testing out this new button for the first time and may as well share some philosphy while I am at it.

Ben

What does this button do exactly? I am hoping this is a post video as forum response button and now all of your future responses will be video answers.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1415 of 2,258
(10,994 Views)

It let me post the Sneetches video.

Ben

Message 1416 of 2,258
(10,990 Views)

I never reported on the solar powered pump/waterfall.

It ran just fine starting just after 6:00 in the evening and off again just after 8:00 PM.

The collection pond that supplies the ram pump that pumps water to the above pond has been expanded and I added a walkway around one side that my better-half and youngest g-daughter are test driving durring a rain storm.

The eldest g-daughter was pleased with the salamander she found near this collection pond.

These ponds and critter help me introduce the wonders of God's vreation to them and let them acquire some woodcraft skills. Eden (the younger of the two now 3) can climb a hill like a goat and Olivia can barely go three steps without finding another critter to examine.

All of this helps us prepare for situations when we can not depend on outside support systems. Case in point. The area around teh collection pond is nestled down in a gully over-shaddowed by trees with a small stream that run most of the year. Even on the hottest of days, it feels like outside air conditioning. My better half has ordered hamocks with mosquito netting to allow the entire family to keep cool during "the dog days of August".

Keep prepping!

Ben

Message 1417 of 2,258
(10,933 Views)

Rolling into Austin on Sunday morning before NI Week.

(The youtube image stabilization option got quite confused with the passing trees and turned the high-rises into jello sticks :D)

Message 1418 of 2,258
(10,893 Views)

In the proverbs thread this image was posted.

That is enough to get me to reply (smiley-wink)

The Partridge Family was one my favorites when I was a kid. Shirley Jones (she was a babe when she was introduced in Rogers and Hamersein's "Oklahoma"* ) was a little odl for me and David Cardine was popular with the girls but Susan Dey made it worth setting a TV viewing date each week.

*And since I brought it up... I was Will Parker in the high school production of Oklahoma. In that musical I learned to twirl a rope, "Yeeee Haaaa" with the best of them and that I was tone deaf. My favorite line was "I reckon you're a rat." (which by the way scared the hell out the guy playing Ali Hakim the pedler man at the time.)

If you find this post totally out there and having nothing to do with anything else, you are right, but at least I did not add this message to the Proverbs thread. (smiley-wink)

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1419 of 2,258
(10,852 Views)

Hmmm nobody else a fan of classic musicals ... ?

I guess I should not be suprised for a group of engineers and scientist more intersted in code and bugs. So I wil adapt (sorta smiley-wink).

My better half and I have some gizmos that use a butane flame to heat a chemical saturated pad to keep mosquitos away when we work in the woods. Being that she and I are both old time code-warriors we call them "Debuggers".

Last night as I was weeding the garden I found myself being watched.

He watched me for a while and then I noticed another observer.

Before long they were dancing and ... well you know the rest of the story.

I do not use any chemicals or such on the garden and I have very little trouble with losses to insects. These quiet warriors combined with the wasps keep the critters under control and offer a little entertainment while tending to the garden.

Ben

Message 1420 of 2,258
(10,817 Views)