Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Keyboard

Yesss.... Finally I have done it:

kb1.jpg

Closed view:

kb2.jpg

Not extremely accurate, but good enough for the first attempt::

kb3.jpg

Technically second keyboard connected to my notebook, all pressed keys transferred over network, therefore I don't need to press any "special combinations".

Goodbye Quick Drop, goodbye....

Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 35
(15,779 Views)

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

So basically you've created a mechanical version of the palettes.  Thanks, but I'll keep typing the names of the things I know... 😉

Message 2 of 35
(15,762 Views)

@Darren wrote:

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

So basically you've created a mechanical version of the palettes.  Thanks, but I'll keep typing the names of the things I know... 😉

Ah, sorry, Darren, I know, that Quick Drop was your "child". Its not really "goodbye" - I still using QD (because its not enough keys on the keyboard 🙂 ).

Lets say more exactly - its a mechanical version of QD shortcuts (I can remember only few). And it was funny to work at the evening - for me it was small and nice LabVIEW exercise. But for common structures (for loop / while loop/ case etc) its a very convenient for me at this time - I need to press only one button F2 - while loop - compare with five QD buttons - Ctrl+Space->w,s,Enter

Andrey.

Message 3 of 35
(15,759 Views)

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

Ctrl+Space->w,s,Enter

Don't forget about "Super Quick Drop", where you can click in the VI to dismiss Quick Drop and get the object on your cursor.  I almost never press 'Enter' when using Quick Drop.

Message 4 of 35
(15,754 Views)

Cool!

I'm curious though, did you have to map each of the keys individually?

If you don't mind my asking, how did you do that?

I've got an old "Sidewinder" control that I've done a little playing with in LabVIEW.  The Sidewinder was basically a mouse-like device for your left hand. (Assuming you use your mouse with your right) 

I don't think they make them anymore, which made finding the drivers fun.  But the device allows me to have over a hundred programmable key combinations at the touch of a single button.  I don't think It could drop individual LabVIEW natives on the BD though.   

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35
(15,749 Views)

@Darren wrote:
Don't forget about "Super Quick Drop", where you can click in the VI to dismiss Quick Drop and get the object on your cursor.  I almost never press 'Enter' when using Quick Drop.

Thank you for the great tip! Really forgot about this.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35
(15,740 Views)

@pallen wrote:

Cool!

I'm curious though, did you have to map each of the keys individually?

If you don't mind my asking, how did you do that?

Thank you. Yes, each key was mapped individually. Scan code was used, so the keys such as Scroll Lock, Pause Break, Caps Lock etc can be also used. Some keys was used for two primitives at the same time. For example, I need to press M for "Equal to 0?" primitive or Shift+M for "Not Equal to 0?". Scan code translated to the object name with translation table, then scripting used for dropping. And keyboard is connected to the other PC. Theoretically it can be connected to the same PC, but then I should play hard game with WinAPI - at the first setting up hook for keyboard, then detect from which one coming the keystrokes, then isolate Windows messaging queue from HID device... Pretty complicated. More easy to use second PC and network. Another way - using USB equipped microprocessor controller (Arduino may be good) between keyboard and PC.

I'll post the code later (after some cleanup). Technically User Interaction:Place Palette Object on Cursor Method was used inside.

Andrey.

Message 7 of 35
(15,732 Views)

For your next version I would recommend this keyboard:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
Message 8 of 35
(15,651 Views)

@emyh wrote:

For your next version I would recommend this keyboard:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Yes, I know about this device. In general the keyboard introduced above - just "concept proof" before $2400 USD investment. I will work with this several weeks, and if it will be good and ergonomically convenient, then will probably purchase Optimus Maximus.

Message 9 of 35
(15,642 Views)

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

...while loop - compare with five QD buttons - Ctrl+Space->w,s,Enter

Andrey.

On my machine that is Ctrl+space s,w.

So I'll guess you case is "cs" ?

You have inspired an impractical line of thought for myself. With an old keyboard and five switches I could select upto 32 functions with a single five bit number controlled by five fingers of the left hand, 64 if I use a foot switch and 128 if i use two foot switches.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Ben

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 35
(15,607 Views)