Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New search engine

Hi, Molly. I see you've just replaced the Inktomi search engine with FAST search. Congratulations. How does this affect searching? Is there a way to put an advanced search page somewhere? I did all my searches on this site (and on google... and on yahoo...) using the advanced search page.
I realize this isn't only a forum issue, but I was hoping you'd have some information (and hopefully some pull) on this.

tst -

There is another team who worked on the search engine upgrade and they will be able to answer your questions better than I can. I will bring this thread to their attention for you so they can share some helpful hints and tips and some more background information with us.

Thanks,
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(7,386 Views)
Hi tst -
Thanks for your feedback on the advanced search form. We made a conscious decision to remove the advanced search form, based on the usage data that we gathered for several months prior to the launch of the new engine on February 18. The data indicated that fewer than 1% of our users ever use the advanced search forms (and that includes ones for NI Developer Zone, Support, and the Entire Site searches).

We also developed a new type of results page for those that actually did use the advanced search pages. The new results page returns results in a categorized fashion -- so all "Products and Services" results are grouped together and all "Support" results are grouped together, and so on.

You can see more details on the Search Tips page here: http://www.ni.com/help/search/help.htm#resultsformat

Please let me know if you have specific questions or searches that you needed the Advanced Search for, which might indicate that we need to adjust our ranking algorithms or implement other changes.

Thanks again-
Julie S.
Search Project Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 49
(7,376 Views)
Thanks for the quick reply, Julie.
First, while the advanced search may be used by less than 1% of the users, those few are probably the ones who know how to look for stuff. Most people, when looking for something, will make some choises which make the search results less ideal (like using too many words, or too few, or words with potential spelling problems and so on), while those who use advanced search pages, IMHO, use them because they know how to exploit search engines. So, it would be nice to support those few.
Second, there were some weird glitches in the system. For example, a few days ago I did a search for the thread congartulating Greg McKaskle on posting 1000 messages to the exchange. When I used the search box on the top of the page (with "Entire Site" selected), I got 3 results. When I used the advanced page, I got many more - the first or second of which being the one I wanted. I tried the same thing now - when I searched the entire site I got 42 results - most for job applications. When I searched just the forums, I got the one I wanted.
Because of this behavior, and because I don't always know exactly what I want, I almost never used the check boxes to uncheck topics but instead let the search engine and the search phrase get the proper results, so I actually don't like the fact that the results are sorted for me.
Last thing - I actually looked at the help page earlier, but I don't like using syntax in search engines. I much prefer advanced search pages. So, if it's possible, please create an advanced search page for me and people like me who would like to exploit the power of the search engine. Thanks.

P.S.
I'm actually fairly sure that if advanced search pages were made default, people would get used to them, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks anyway.

Let me second tst's remarks.

Maybe I just do not know how to use search engines but I have had fits trying to find things that I posted.

I have had to resort to going back through thousands of answers and I hope I remeber when I posted it.

There is alot of good info buried in the Exchange.

Maybe we just need some good "help" files or some good examples.

I will speak only for myself when I say "I know LV, I do not know JAVA, html or any of those other things. Please do not force to learn those other languages just to support the Exchange."

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 49
(7,342 Views)
Thank you for your comments, Ben. As I'm sure you're aware, Discussion Forums itself does have advanced search capabilities here: http://forums.ni.com/ni/search?advanced=true
Does this not provide you with enough detail to perform the searches to find the posts you are looking for?

We will compile your feedback and definitely take it in to consideration as we move forward with ni.com search capabilities.

Thanks -
Julie
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 49
(7,328 Views)
Hi, Julie.
To return to my previous example, right now, when I search the discussion forums from the search box at the top of the window for "greg" I get the thread I want in the first place.
When I search using the advanced page for "greg" I get a lot of results, which appear to be sorted by score. Non of them is the one I am looking for.
When searching the advanced page for all of the words "greg congratulating" I can't find it either.
These discrepencies are not new. A week ago, using the site's advanced search page and searching for "greg" would also come up with the page I wanted in the first place, while using the regular search wouldn't. At least then I knew where to go.
Why is this happening and is there any way to predict which messages can't be found?
Thanks.

HI Julie,

I am frustrated!

There have been a number of discusions of Brooks mass flow controllers on this exchange.

I went to the bottom of the page.

Clicked advanced search.

Entered "Brooks MFC".

Made sure I selected "any time un sorted".

I only got the two hits from the current discusion.

There has to be between 3 and 5 different threads that discussed this device.

"In the old days..." people were able to find these links (somehow) becuase I recieved un-solicited e-mails requesting to purchase the code.

What am I doing wrong?

Why does it have to be any more complicated than what I explained above?

Please help!

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 49
(7,311 Views)
Thank you Ben..

You saved me a lot of typing.

I have the very SAME issue. (Comforting to know you're not alone).
I can't find old answers that I replied to...

Actually, is there a way to remove the multiple listings of a single thread in the "Find All Posts by this User" ?

BTW: I like that new feature about the jobs postings!! 😄

Ray
Message 9 of 49
(7,147 Views)
Hi Ben,

I entered Brooks instead for 'Brooks MFC' and got 2 pages. Dont know if they are related to what you are looking for.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 10 of 49
(7,304 Views)