From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workspace Data Rendering

Solved!
Go to solution
This post relates to how the Workspace in VS 2011 actually returns data.
In this example, my system generates a sine wave out of a model.
- the sinewave is at 60Hz.
- the model runs at 5000Hz, and generates the sine point by point internally.
As a result, the sine has 5000/60 ~ 85 points per cycle, which is plenty to generate it point by point.
Now on the Workspace Setup window:
- If a decimation of 5 is used, we should expect ~ 85/5 = 17 points per cycle on the graph, which should be fine for visualizing the sine. And it is, once can see ~ 17 pts per cycle.
Workspace.jpg
If decimation is increase to 10 for instance, the number of points per cycle changes as expected, and the visual sine is degraded, as expected.
Now if I set decimation at 1, I would expect a very smooth set of points, but here is what I get instead:
Workspace_decimation1.jpg
All the points from the original sampling rate (5000Hz) seems to be here, but why are they appearing as steps?? I suspect it may be due to UDP, but somehow, from the settings I don't see where the limit is... any idea and constraint not clearly documented I should be aware of?
Thx.
L.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,458 Views)

When you say "Workspace Setup window" I assume you are referring to the setup window for the graph?  I'm not able to reproduce the behavior your seeing using the shipping example 'Sinewave Delay'.    Do you see the same behavior with the sinewave model in the shipping example?

If not, could you post your project files and model?

The graph subscribes to the UDP stream for a channel, and if it is not decimated, it stream should contain all the points for the channel.  So the behavior you're seeing isn't expected.  Is it possible you're decimating your model or something else in the NIVS engine?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,452 Views)

Yes Devin, I meant the setup window for the graph

Here is the LV model attached. I haven't checked the signal yet on the scope...

thx.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,449 Views)

Ok, some more food for thoughts here:

- on a separate scope, the signal shows that the sine wave only updates every 1ms, despite the fact the PCL was at 5000Hz, and decimation of the model was at 1.

- I decreased my PCL loop rate down to 1000Hz, and the Workspace windows, when set with a decimation of 1, is now ok,. meaning that the flat sections are gone.

This means that despite a PCL of 5000Hz, the sine was being produced at a max rate of 1000Hz...and hence the flat sections on the graph... I don't know why...  

Note that the target is a RT machine with a PCI 6723 AO card.

I am going to try the same thing with a PCIe 6343.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,443 Views)

Ok,  final tests show:

- both 6343 AO and 6723 AO show the same behavior using VS, that is I cannot generate my data above 1000Hz, despite PCL set at 5000Hz, and model decimation = 1.

- Back to LabVIEW RT, I run a timed loop with my same model VI than the one used in VS, using a software-timed generation, which presumably is the same as what VS is supposed to do, and the VI generates a sine as expected, that is I can loop no problem at 5000Hz, which is confirmed on a separate scope. So I am confident the code in my model vi is fine...

Can you help find the bottleneck... thx.  

On the VS side, there is

- 15 AI, 31 DI on 6343: decimation 1, so 5000Hz

-  8 AO, 7 DO on 6723: decimation 1, so 5000Hz (supposedly)

- one custom device: parallel mode, 5000Hz

- 2 models                        : decimation 1, so 5000Hz (supposedly)  : 1 is the sine generation, the other one, is essentially a feedthrough, nothing is done with it at the moment.

The system channel data returns ~ 5000Hz..

L.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,439 Views)

Lastly, I simplified my system definition file by ditching every I/Os except the ones for the test, so just a couples of AI,AOs. One model only, no more custom device: same result. This times, VS returns the error below:

VShardware cannot keepup.jpg

So what is going on ? 

Thx.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,437 Views)

... and finally, I am also using the Stimulus profile editor to create my sine signal. It looks like the generation is based on the PCL rate, so the same thing happens, the digitizing rate at which the sine is generated is not going past 1000Hz.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,416 Views)

Laurent,

I would recommend looking at the "Model Count" system channel to see if your model is running late.  I looked at your code, and it looks very simple, so I wouldn't expect any problems with it, but I was also missing a subVI you used.  I removed the subVI and compiled it, and it ran fine on my system alonside a PXI-6723.

Also take a look at your CPU usage on your RT target, as well as the other "Count" channels (HP Count, LP Count, LP Data Count) to see if anything's running late.  Another thing to check would be the timing settings of your chassis:  are you using hardware timing for your DAQ card?  Are you syncing the PCL to DAQ?

If you can post all of your project files and compiled model, I can take a look to see if there are any strange settings.

Regards,

Devin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,405 Views)

Devin, 

None of the count indicate lateness. CPU is < 50% on the quad-processor targed. I changed the timing to hardware and there is still the same issue with my main definitition file.

However, using the simplified definition file, and using the Stimulus profile, with 5000Hz, and the  timing source Settings = DAQ Timing,  behavior is as expected, that is, 200us step intervals. 

When I put the model back in line, I am back to 1000ms, however looking closely at the scope trace, it appears that even though it looks like the digitizing steps update every 1000ms, there are actually small digitizing spikes every 200ms. When I set back the hardware at actually 1000Hz, these dissapear. So what I suspect is that the digitizing rate / loop time is actually 200us as it should, and somewhere, something is only updating my AO at 1000ms, which may be a variable rouding in the model to ms, or the like... So tomorrow I will check my main system def file step by step to see where the issue is and will let you know.

I think one key thing here is what you said about using  timing source Settings = DAQ Timing.  Is it equivalent to set a timedloop with a clock being sourced from a hardware resource as opposed to the OS loop time?

Thx.

Laurent 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,394 Views)

Part 1 of 2...

Still no luck here. Here are the files used in the model

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,363 Views)