USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a faster way for TDMS-to-Excel conversion?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am logging my received packets using TDMS blocks, since it is suggested that low-level I/O is the fastest. Since I need the data in Excel formal, after I finish my experiment, I run a small code that uses 'Read from measurement file' and 'Write to measurement file' blocks to convert TDMS to Excel.

This conversion is taking too long, e.g. 15 minutes to port 1 million bits from TDMS to Excel (I am logging packets in their binary form, 1's and 0's).I attached the conversion VI.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know any faster way for conversion from TDMS into Excel?

2. I need the 'Read from measurement file' block in my conversion code since received packets are logged into TDMS in the form of a single vector, and I need to convert that very long vector into a matrix where each row is one received packet. Is it possible to do logging into TDMS in the form of a matrix, instead of a single vector? This might be slowing down my code a lot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,996 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author filipfilip

Hi filipfilip,

Have you considered using the TDM Excel Add-In? You could then save the resulting Excel workbook and get the file format you want. 

More information can be found here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4906/en/

There's a solution on this forum post too that can let you do this automatically. I don't know how much faster it would be than your current method but I think it would be worth giving it a go. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Convert-Import-TDMS-to-Excel/m-p/1088746

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Charlotte N. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,973 Views)

Thanks! I see that the Excel table is a single-column one , instead of a matrix. but that can be easily fixed. Thanks once again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,962 Views)

No worries, good luck with the rest of your project!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,960 Views)