From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button animation on mouse-over event

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade front panel of my application by adding some cool stuff, like buttons that have a mouse-over animation.

The application contains modules (about 20) that are communicating using queues and notifiers and using about 15 buttons.

I'd like to be able to create fast way to update those buttons without disturbing communication. I don't want to put a mouse over event in every module for obvious resons.

I know, that's what xcontrols are for, but I've heard a lot of bad opinions about performance of those and before I'll start to develop those, I want to make sure, this is the way to go.

On the other hand I could have a subpanels with running vi's instead of buttons, that can send dynamic events.

Is there another, better way to do it?

Which one is the best?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(12,877 Views)

You can change the image skin of each state of a control.

A system control has 6 states, True, False, True depressed, False depressed, True hover, False Hover

You can change an image skin to an animated gif.

If you replace the False mouseover state to an animated gif, then the button will show and play its animated gif

Also, gif images also support alpha blending

I'll throw a demo together in 10 minutes!

This sounds very interesting.  I'd love to see the demo!

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(10,270 Views)

Anyone know how I can add an attachment to the discussion?

(10,270 Views)

It looks like if you click "Use advanced editor" at the top right of the reply box there is an attachment section.  Not sure if it works though.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(10,270 Views)

The attached zip has a few png files, an animated gif, the custom control and a demo VI.

I have edited the control state skins with various images of an amusing dancing banana.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Where is the control state skins property? I can add the image for true, false and decal, but can't seem to find the option to edit the image when the button is hovered over.

Cheers,

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(10,269 Views)

Don't worry, I found it. Definitely need to find a place to add dancing banana's to my next application!!!

Thanks for the example.

Cheers,

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(10,269 Views)

A more useful (but less exciting) example on button states:

state image.png

Ha!

Omg this is perfect. I was so worried, I'd have to do it some wierd complicated way.

This is exactly what I was hoping to see.

(I'm not talking about dancing banana)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(10,269 Views)