Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB RT Utility Error

I am trying to install LabView RT 8.6 using the Reliance file system.  As I understand, I have to use the USB RT Utility to properly format my hard drive.  Unfortunately, I am getting the error "Detected unsupported OHCI USB host controller - ignoring" when I try to run the USB RT Utility.  Is there a way to get around this issue?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,811 Views)

Hi tedoyle,

Are you trying to format a PXI controller or a Desktop computer?

Does your computer allow you to boot from USB?

Is your computer configured in the BIOS to boot from USB?  (Why Can't I Boot My Real-Time Controller From a USB Key?)

Can you run Real-Time off of your USB stick before trying to format the harddrive?  (Can I Boot Into or Run LabVIEW Real-Time Using a USB Flash Drive?)

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,791 Views)

I am trying to format a desktop computer (a PC\104 embedded board that is currently running RT 8.5.1) an use the Reliance file system.  My computer can boot from a USB memory stick.  I am able to boot to DOS.  However, when I use the RT USB utility I get the error message I listed in the orginal post.  Consequently, I am also not able to either format the hard drive or boot RT from the USB drive.  I have been unsuccessful in getting any help on this matter via CVI technical support.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,785 Views)

Hi tedoyle,

Since your end goal is to install LabVIEW Real-Time 8.6, I would recommend connecting to your Real-Time computer over the network and then upgrading from Real-Time 8.5.1 to 8.6.  Can you do this?  Is this an option?

The USB utility can be used for circumstances when you don't have network access to the controller.

With regards to the current question though, do you recall if you were able to get anything to boot from the USB drive (LabVIEW Real-Time, Real-Time format utility, etc.) when the drive was formatted as FAT32 as opposed to the Reliance file system?  You can try running running a PC compatibility test to see if Real-Time will run on your computer.  (You know it runs - you're running LabVIEW Real-Time 8.5.1 right now, but this is another test in trying to get your Real-Time computer to boot from the USB drive.)

(A note about support: the CVI technical support team tends to deal more with CVI on Windows.  Since you're dealing with Real-Time, even though you're using CVI, your issue would fall under Real-Time technical support.)

Let me know the results,

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,760 Views)

Hello,

I'm also trying to install LVRT in a PC/104 board.

When I try to boot from the pen drive with RT8.6.1 or RT 8.5.1, I get that error message:

Detected unsupported OHCI USB host controller - ignoring.

So in my case, I cannot upgrade, because it is a fresh new installation and 8.5.1 doesn't work.

I tried to change USB BIOS configurations.

When I have OHCI and EHCI Enabled, the error message keeps scrolling in the display,

When I desable EHCI, the message only appears one time, then another message appears: "Waiting for USB to initialize..." and does nothing else.

Did anyone else see this?

How was the problem of this thread solved? Did you upgrade?

Thanks,

Paulo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,601 Views)

Hi,

Just to add something: 

I created a MS DOS pen drive and successfully booted from it, so it is not a problem of USB boot.

Thenks,

Paulo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,598 Views)

Hi Paulo,

Can you run the PC compatibility test to see if LabVIEW Real-Time will run on your computer that Kevin posted before? It may be that there is no support for Real-Time on this hardware, and running that check is a way to see if it is compatible.

Regards,

Stephen S.

National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,562 Views)

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your answer.

My problem is how do I run the PC compatibility test? I cannot boot using the USB RT utility disk and I have no floppy disk support.

I can boot to MS-DOS and install Windows in the system.

Is there a way to run the compatibility test from these OS?

Thanks,

Paulo

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,543 Views)

Hi Paulo,

As the article I linked says, you have to either be able to boot from the Desktop PC Utility USB or have a floppy drive to run the PC compatibility test. There is no way to run the test from another OS.

You can manually check to see if all of the requirements for using a PC as a Real-Time target are met. Your system must meet all of these requirements for it to work correctly.

Regards,

Stephen S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,520 Views)