Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show VI in Windows Explorer

This simple Quick Drop shortcut will find the location of a VI on disk, open a new Windows Explorer window at that folder location, and highlight the VI.  If the file is not saved to disk, a popup will warn you of this. 

To install this simply copy the VI to the <LabVIEW>\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins directory.

To run it, press Ctrl-Space and then Ctrl-F.

To modify the key combination, press Ctrl-Space, click "Shortcuts..." and then navigate to the "Ctrl-key shortcuts" tab.

For more useful Quick Drop plugins, see the Quick Drop Enthusiasts community group.

Download All
Message 1 of 9
(13,981 Views)

Will use this regularly.  Thanks!

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,092 Views)

The tag says LB2010, but this VI is for LabView2011, please can you put a LabVIEW 2010 version here for the unfortunate few who have not updated yet please? Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,092 Views)

You got it, sorry about that.  2010 version is now attached...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,093 Views)

I have installed this plugin as specified above, but it does not show up in the "Ctrl-Key Shortcuts" window, could there be something I am doing wrong?

Many thanks, Alec

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,093 Views)

The vi's path is:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\Show VI in Folder.vi

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,093 Views)

Did you copy the 2010 version?  I see it just fine in the Ctrl-Key Shortcuts tab in my LabVIEW 2010:

ctrlkeyshortcuts.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,093 Views)

Nice feature.

The following snippet add feature to show selected subVI in the Windows Explorer when shift is TRUE.

Show VI-SubVI in Folder.png

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,093 Views)

I modified this too.  I updated the search so that if a file isn't in a folder, it keeps going up until it is in a folder.  This can happen when you try to open explorer to a VI in a LLB.  My method will keep going up then open explorer to the folder the LLB is in, and then select it.

I also modified it so that if you hold Shift the path to the VI is copied to the clipboard.

Open Explorer_BD.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,093 Views)