From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prototype Mouse Wheel Move

Over here there was a quick discussion about creating a quick drop that would allow moving selected objects using the mouse wheel.  This is my first attempt to get something working. 

Here is my second attempt at a scroll wheel movement

"Mouse Wheel v2_MB.zip"

Setup Instructions

• Place the "ScrollWheel Move_MB.vi" and the Mouse Wheel SubVIs folder in the

\LabVIEW 2013\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins folder

• Setup Quick Drop to use the ScrollWheel Move_MB with a shortcut key

Use Instructions

• select the items that you wish to move on the FP or BD
  • Active the QD ScrollWheel Move shortcut. [Ctrl-Space Ctrl-<<your shortcut key>>]
  • a vertical scrollbar cursor will appear. Inside the cursor is a 1 indicating the selected items will move up or down 1 pixel when the scroll wheel is moved
  • If the Ctrl Key is press the cursor will change to a horizontal scrollbar indicating the items will be moved left or right
  • If the Shift Key is press the cursor number inside the scroll bar cursor will change to 8 indicating an 8 pixel move.
  • Here is a list of the key combinations
    • Scroll only - Up/Down 1 pixel
    • Hold Shift - Up/Down 8 pixels
    • Hold Alt - Up/Down 20 pixels
    • Hold Shift-Alt - Up/Down 40 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl - Left/Right 1 pixel
    • Hold Ctrl-Shift - Left/Right 8 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl-Alt - Left/Right 20 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl-Shift-Alt - Left/Right 40 pixels
  • Clicking any button will stop and exit the vi

There is also a video demonstration how the QD function works

Please post any comments on the discussion.

Mark

Download All
Message 1 of 5
(8,533 Views)

This looks really cool, Mark! I'm going to remind myself to use it on my next project and see how much faster I can get objects positioned with the scroll wheel vs. the arrow keys.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,694 Views)

I've mentioned this before but I think adding acceleration might help speed. Mark mentioned localization issues and i didn't fully understand the issues but when i get a chance I would like to try my hand at adding that feature.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,694 Views)

Very good, Mark. 

Minor comment - the VI documentation is for the Move Label plugin.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,694 Views)

Hooovahh,

I tried to add acceleration but took a different route after using the tool for a while. I found that if I was going to move the objects 40 pixels or more that I would use the mouse drag or an alignment tools. There is a cased out vi called "Move UI_GObjects With ScrollWheel_Cursors.vi" (poorly named) that uses only the device vis and no events. Inside this vi is the "Scroll_Calculate Move.vi". This vi is where I tried to interpret acceleration.

jcarmody,

I will update the documentation for version 3

Thanks for the feedback

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,694 Views)