Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prototype Mouse Wheel Move

Over here there was a quick discussion about creating a quick drop that would allow moving selected objects using the mouse wheel.  This is my first attempt to get something working. 

Here is my second attempt at a scroll wheel movement

"Mouse Wheel v2_MB.zip"

Setup Instructions

• Place the "ScrollWheel Move_MB.vi" and the Mouse Wheel SubVIs folder in the

\LabVIEW 2013\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins folder

• Setup Quick Drop to use the ScrollWheel Move_MB with a shortcut key

Use Instructions

• select the items that you wish to move on the FP or BD
  • Active the QD ScrollWheel Move shortcut. [Ctrl-Space Ctrl-<<your shortcut key>>]
  • a vertical scrollbar cursor will appear. Inside the cursor is a 1 indicating the selected items will move up or down 1 pixel when the scroll wheel is moved
  • If the Ctrl Key is press the cursor will change to a horizontal scrollbar indicating the items will be moved left or right
  • If the Shift Key is press the cursor number inside the scroll bar cursor will change to 8 indicating an 8 pixel move.
  • Here is a list of the key combinations
    • Scroll only - Up/Down 1 pixel
    • Hold Shift - Up/Down 8 pixels
    • Hold Alt - Up/Down 20 pixels
    • Hold Shift-Alt - Up/Down 40 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl - Left/Right 1 pixel
    • Hold Ctrl-Shift - Left/Right 8 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl-Alt - Left/Right 20 pixels
    • Hold Ctrl-Shift-Alt - Left/Right 40 pixels
  • Clicking any button will stop and exit the vi

There is also a video demonstration how the QD function works

Please post any comments on the discussion.

Mark

Download All
Message 1 of 5
(8,511 Views)

This looks really cool, Mark! I'm going to remind myself to use it on my next project and see how much faster I can get objects positioned with the scroll wheel vs. the arrow keys.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,672 Views)

I've mentioned this before but I think adding acceleration might help speed. Mark mentioned localization issues and i didn't fully understand the issues but when i get a chance I would like to try my hand at adding that feature.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,672 Views)

Very good, Mark. 

Minor comment - the VI documentation is for the Move Label plugin.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,672 Views)

Hooovahh,

I tried to add acceleration but took a different route after using the tool for a while. I found that if I was going to move the objects 40 pixels or more that I would use the mouse drag or an alignment tools. There is a cased out vi called "Move UI_GObjects With ScrollWheel_Cursors.vi" (poorly named) that uses only the device vis and no events. Inside this vi is the "Scroll_Calculate Move.vi". This vi is where I tried to interpret acceleration.

jcarmody,

I will update the documentation for version 3

Thanks for the feedback

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,672 Views)