From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue screen on PXI-8106 : Hardware malfunction

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a PXI 8106 (RAM - 2Go) with a PXI 6254 and I was running tests with the attached VIs (continuous acquisition of 16 AI and 32 DI triggered via RTSI at 4-5 kHz).

When I launched it this morning, I got a blue screen of death saying this :

*** Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity CheckMemory Parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

Now I rebooted the PXI re-launched the VI and it works again.

Is there something I can do to ensure this error won't show up again ?

Thanks in advance for any help

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,107 Views)

oooopps... I forgot to attach the VIs

If you want to run it, you'll need a PXI 6254 (you can create a simulated device) and call it "6254. also before running, specify the folder in which to save the data files (16 *.ch files).

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,105 Views)
just ralized that I forgot this sub vi

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,098 Views)

TiTou,

I don't think that the issue is related to your vi or to your data acquisition hardware but to the RAM of the controller. The error message indicates that there was a parity error in the controller's memory. There is a good chance that the controller's RAM is defective.

You could either exchange the controller's RAM by your own or contact your local NI branch for help. If the controller is not in warranty anymore, exchanging the RAM by your own is probably the cheaper option, but you need to be very careful when buying RAM for the 8106, as it should meet the industrial specs of the 8106. Another option is buying new RAM from NI.

Broken RAM is an option that seems to be quite probable to me, but if your really want to be sure, you should send the controller for repair to NI.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jochen Klier

National Instruments 

Message 4 of 7
(5,082 Views)

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for your reply. I received the PXI 8106with extended RAM to 2Go only a few weeks ago, it's brand new and supposedly has been test by NI before it was shiped 😮

I only saw this blue screen once, now when I run my tests it works just fine.

Would you recommend to send it back to NI for testing or shall I just forget it and only worry if the blue screen shows up another time ?

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,079 Views)

I'm sorry that there is an issue with a brandnew device, but some failures only occurr in very specific situations and can't be avoided completely. Maybe the error is related to temperature or it only occurrs if a specific memory cell is used for a specific puropose.

The decision how to proceed is up to you and it depends on the circumstances of your application (Lab or manufacturing? Measurements or real-time control?) if this is a critical issue or not. If you decide to send the controller back to NI, please tell me the RMA number that you get from NI and I will make sure that we exchange the controller's RAM.

Thanks,

Jochen 

Message 6 of 7
(5,077 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TiTou

Meh... I know I'm coming back on a pretty old post, but I've figured out the solution.

For some reason installing Vision Acquisition Software 8.5.1 created the issue by setting itself as the default driver for the network board. So go to "manage"by right clicking on "Desktop", go to the hardware section, network board, and select the intel driver solved the issue.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,376 Views)