From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add MXI Chassis connected to RT PXI to a LV Project

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an MXI chassis connected to an RT PXI.  On the host machine, I can see both the RT PXI and the MXI chassis and can access the MXI FPGA to flash a bitfile, etc.

But in my LV project, I cannot add the MXI FPGA target.  I can only add the RT PXI but attempting to add the MXI target under the PXI yield no FPGA device found.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,324 Views)

Hello,

Which MXI chassis model, PXI chassis, PXI RT controller and LabVIEW version are you using?

Do you have LabVIEW FPGA module and LabVIEW RT module installed?

Regards

Gustave

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,304 Views)

PXI Chassis: PXIe-1085

PXI Controller: PXIe-8880

MXI Card: PXIe-8364

MXI Chassis: NI-9157

LabVIEW 2017 SP1 f1

LabVIEW RT 2017

LabVIEW FPGA 2017

PXI Platform Services Runtime and Config 18.0

NI-RIO 17.6

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,302 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author blackburnite

So I don't know for sure what the issue was, I think whoever set this system up when it arrived in shipping, connected everything in whatever order and had the PXI powered before the MXI chassis was connected.  This would I think cause the BIOS to configure the PCI bus incorrectly.  So I removed power entirely from the PXI and rebooted witht he MXI chassis already connected and powered.

But I also removed all software from the PXI controller and re-installed so it's possible the cause was somewhere there.

In either case, after doing the above two actions, the MXI chassis now is recognized in LV.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,290 Views)