From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Test Sequences

Hello Community

I have some questions about testand parallel mode.
One is if I can run different sequences with different steps in parallel, this is because the sequences use different nests or sockets, one socket runs a sequence and another socket runs a completely different sequence.
Another question is how to share the resources since the nests will use the same hardware, I do not see very functional opening the communication in the preeuut of a socket,
blocking the instrument and making the second nest wait for the socket that took the instrument to finish the sequence and unlock the instrument,
I don't know if it is better to work it from the process model or some plugin or callback.
Consider that as I see it is to run the sequences as new threads, the problem here are the resources, if this is wrong, you can tell me everything, I take it into consideration.
If you know of any document or your answer, you can guide me

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(964 Views)

From the TestStand Help, search for and read the article titled: "Parallel Test Strategies Demo"

Also see the demo:  

<TestStand Public>\Examples\Demos\Parallel Testing Strategies\Parallel Testing Strategies.seq

The demo will show strategies in managing shared resources using Lock or Auto Schedule

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(947 Views)

"Lock" would be probably the simplest solution to secure parallel resources access.

Regarding different sequences: well, I don't think there is a ready-to-use template or pattern, you will need to modify the process model. The first solution that came into my mind is to create a "generic" client sequence file that would take a path to the actual sequence file as a parameter. This parameter value can differ between parallel executions. The "generic" sequence file would not execute real test steps, but would dynamically call the actual sequence inside.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(918 Views)

To build on that; remember that during execution you have access to the variable RunState.TestSockets.MyIndex.  This tells you the index of the parallel socket that is running. Use that variable in a Select..Case flow control; and when inside each case statement you can call into unique sequences that only that socket needs as suggested by @matowc.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(905 Views)