From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Model vs Batch Model

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi, I am starting to develop a new machine which runs  12 UUTs. I have 4 fixtures, 3 UUts each. The 4 fixture should go independently (in parallel), the 3 UUTs on each fixture should go in batch sharing the communication channel. This application is the perfect mix between batch and parallel model; the solution will probably fall somewhere between the sequential model and the parallel model.Then 2 solutions are possible:
  1. Starting from Parallel model and try to synchronize the 3 UUTs in the same fixture. I could use a notifire to start the test then a batch synchronization to share the communication channel.
  2. Starting from the Batch Model and try to group 3 UUTs. I could change the "wait" for all the test sockets.
1st solution sounds better for me.How would you approach this project?There will be none PLC controlling the machine. Would you control all the I/O directly in TS? I'd like to control the machine with a manager which communicates with TS ( a LabView executable state machine). What is your feeling about that?  Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,515 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author logatto

Hi,

I will give you my thougnt about your questions but id any other user will come up with further suggestion he will be welcome.

I agree with you prefering the first solution.

Basically you need a parallel process model and then you have ways for manage a synchronization ( notifier for example ).

When you say 'control all I\O in TS' you mean having an adapter (LV for example) called by TS that execute the I\O operation? I think this is correct.

For the last point, the most common architecture is to have TS as a manager for you test and LV code called as TS steps and not the opposte.

Bye

Clara

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,491 Views)

In my opinion, you can use parallel model to run 12 sockets, but in sequence you need to control 3 sockets together, use statement/expression/notifier to justify in each fixture which socket is ready to occupy communication channel, this could be a vailable way to do. I do not suggest to use batch model to do this, it looks like all of things latched together then you need to wait to all 12 DUTs cooked.

I dont understand "control IO directly in TS", do you mean do it with out any adapter executable like Labview, I'm sure you can do standard IO control for standard instruments with IVI driver support. But actually IVI steps are also a type of adapter ^_^

Message Edited by paulbin on 11-15-2008 08:33 AM
*The best Chinese farmer*
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,479 Views)

Thanks a lot for your support. About the last item I know I was not very clear. I have a lot of digital IO controlling the machine and I will develop a step type in order to read and write these IO. But I am not sure that using TS as machine controller is the best solution. The sequences could become not very readable. Probably it could be better to have a machine controller like a LV state machine that manages all the machine and interacts with TS.

Thanks a lot.

Bye 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,464 Views)

logatto,

For a system of this complexity, we would be happy to help you develop an appropriate architecture for your application.  If you would like to talk to an NI Applications Engineer to work through this problem, you can contact one by going to www.ni.com/ask

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,437 Views)