cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting file with extension .log when using Simple Text Report Model Plug-in

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Simple Text Report Model Plug-in to generate a .csv file from TestStand 2016. Searching the forum and found that this plug-in is recommended to be able to create such files. When I tried it I found that it creates files with the correct comma separated format but the file extension is set to ".log". Sure I can set it to ".csv" manually but that seems like a unnecessary hassle for me. I have looked through all kind of settings but I can't find where to change this setting to the correct file extension. So, where can I change this setting?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,626 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author j_werner

It looks like it is being pulled from a resource string located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2014\Components\Language\English\TestStandExamples.ini

Look for .log in that file.  If you aren't familiar with resource strings basically it is a feature that allows you to store visual text in ini files so you can internationalize your dialogs if needed.  You can read more about them in the TestStand help.  http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052P-01/tsapiref/infotopics/app_resource_strings_and_inte...

It looks like the dialog for the simple text example is looking for all text on the Front Panel with TS_ and replacing it with the associated resource string.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 5
(2,615 Views)

Thanks! That did the trick. Now I also learned about the resource string mechanism.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,592 Views)

Unfortunately, I was a little too quick to consider this solved. I changed the string for "RESULT_FILE_FORMAT" which is the only place I could find that sets the file format. Apparently it only changes the string in the settings dialog and not the actual file extension on the file that it creates.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,583 Views)

I finally managed to resolve it. It seems that it is hardcoded in the sequence file "NI_SimpleTextReport_LabVIEW.seq" under the sequence callback "Generate Report Path". There, it calls a VI called "CallBuildPath.vi" and inserts a parameter "Extension" to it, which is hardcoded to "log".

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,580 Views)