From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade TestStand 2017 SP1 to TestStand 2017

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

For the records, and because it took me some time before finding a way to remove TestStand 2017 SP1 and install TestStand 2017 instead (not common, yes, see the firt issue here : ASAM Steps : VeriStand is not installed ). Hope this may help someone...

NI Package Manager display by default the installed components filtered by Product (checkbox). I selected TestStand 2017 SP1 for uninstall, reboot the computer, then install TestStand 2017, rebbot again... impossible to run the Sequence Editor. Symptom, the TestStand Version Selector showed only the 2017 SP1 version of TestStand, and not the 2017. And throws an error when trying to activate 2017 SP1.

Unchecking the Product Only checkbox in NI Package Manager, I finally found that TestStand 2017 SP1 RunTime was still present (not uninstalled when removing TestStand 2017 SP1).

Removing the SP1 runtime and reinstalling TestStand 2017 finally fixes the issue.

Is that behavior expected ? I mean, why leaving the RunTime on my computer, installed (I guess) with TestStand development tools, when I uninstall TestStand (2017 SP1 in this case) ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,209 Views)

Hey Mathieu -

This is behaving as designed. The reason that we display both the TestStand (development environment) package and the TestStand Runtime package as "top-level" products is to support customers deploying a TestStand based application that uses just the runtime, and then can install and uninstall TestStand development tools to potentially debug an issue without negatively affecting the application. 

To make this more obvious, we display both TestStand and the TestStand Runtime packages in NIPM when the "products only" option is selected, so that users see that they are separate items, and uninstalling the TestStand package always uninstalls all other development related packages without uninstalling the runtime.

Hope that helps.

Scott Richardson
Message 2 of 4
(2,144 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mathieu_R.

Mathieu -

Also, I did not realize this as it looks like we did not properly configure the TestStand 2017 Runtime package properly, so it is not visible when Products Only is checked. This was fixed with TestStand 2019, and TestStand 2016 and earlier non-packaged products were grandfathered in and do display properly.

Scott Richardson
Message 3 of 4
(2,118 Views)

Hello Scott,

Thank you very much for that crystal clear answer. It's a good to hear that the issue I faced concerns only TestStand 2017 and 2017 SP1, and taht other version are correct. Bad luck for me !

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,096 Views)