NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting a watchdog reset

Solved!
Go to solution

The question is simple: is there a way to detect if a system reset was triggered by a watchdog event instead of power-on-reset?

Thanks

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,902 Views)

Just for clarification, I would imagine you are interested in knowing from a LVRT application on the target, is that right?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,545 Views)

Yes, the idea is to be able to do a post-event log and differentiate from a power-on-reset. Otherwise it's impossible to know if the reset was caused by the WDT or a problem in the power supply or the O.S.

Thanks

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,545 Views)

I don't know if there's a friendly UI way to do that, but you can use the System Exec.vi utility VI to read the "reset_source" pseudo-file (on my myRIO and cRIO 9068, it is located at /sys/devices/amba.0/e0004000.i2c/i2c-0/0-0040/reset_source).

Check it first on the serial console or SSH (or monitor/keyboard if we're dealing with one of the newer x64 cRIOs), then wire up the System Exec with the same command you ran and check for "watchdog" being returned from reading the file.

Message 4 of 14
(5,545 Views)

Thanks. That is exactly what we were looking for!

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,545 Views)

We are having problems with file permissions. From SSH everything is fine, but from the application we cannot read the file, since it has permissions 400 (only owner can read it).

Any workaround?

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,545 Views)

A shorter and less device-specific path to it is /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0040/reset_source

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,544 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sirluke

Bleh. Not an easy way. You could add a startup script to check and change the permisisons of the file.

This is a pretty resonable resource on writing and using a startup script: Tutorial: Installing Startup Scripts on NI Linux Real-Time

You'd want the script to use ls -l /path/to/file to check the permissions and chmod +r /path/to/file if the permissions are wrong. (note: you could also use chmod 444 or chown lvuser, but just use the +r)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,545 Views)

Great. It works perfectly!

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,545 Views)

sirluke wrote:

Great. It works perfectly!

Luca

Great to hear! Sorry it wasn't quite as friendly or UI-centric a way to get to where you needed to be, but we got there.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,545 Views)