cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C/C++ Development Tools for NI Linux Real-Time with NEWER GCC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

i'm developing a C++ application for my Linux-based cRIO-9039.

Following this tutorial (http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14625/en/) everything seems to work except for one thing. We are stuck into importing a *.so third party library in our project. Moreover, the problem is caused by mismatch of GCC's; in fact, the GCC provided by NI is in the 4.9.2 version, while the library is compiled with a GCC-6.3.0.

Is there any NEWER GCC supported by NI?

Is there a way to use any other newer GCC (minGW)?

Is there a workaround to this problem?

Thank you very much to anyone that would like to share his/her knowledge!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,703 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mattia88

Hi Mattia88,

I'm not sure what problem you're seeing and I would be surprised if a GCC mismatch were responsible since GCC versions and binaries are usually backwards compatible. Additionally we would typically recommend rebuilding any *.so files with our toolchain rather than just using them outright. There could be incompatibilities between the specific Linux system the *.so was built for and the NI Linux Real-Time kernel. That being said, it might work without any further modifications.

If it is in fact a GCC mismatch: We have newer toolchains than what ship in that tutorial available for download. I believe the 2018-2019 version of the cross compile tool chain ships with GCC 6.3.0 but unfortunately our site is redirecting that link incorrectly to the Eclipse download right now. We're looking at resolving that and once it is you can find the tool chain here (for Windows hosts): http://www.ni.com/download/labview-real-time-module-2018/7810/en/

You'll need to manually unpack that tool chain and point Eclipse to where you place it. I recommend mimicking the file structure used by the 2017 tool chain.

Charlie J.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,683 Views)

Thank you very much for your kind reply!!

In order to rebuild the *.so file we need the source code.. i'm asking that but i'm not sure we will be able to get it..

When do you think the new toolchain will be available?

Could MinGW solve the problem or do i need to use NI specific toolchain?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,679 Views)

You should use the NI specific tool chain.

As for the newer compiler download, it usually takes around 1-2 days for our redirect cache to refresh. If you need that tool chain version in a more timely manner, I recommend reaching out to NI Support and requesting it. They should be able to help you get access to it.

Charlie J.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,663 Views)