cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB device can perform faster

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I just recently purchased a USB-6008.  When I plug it into my PC, I get a message "This device can perform faster.  This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.  For a list of available ports, click here."  When I click the message, it shows me a list of available ports, but none of them are shown to be USB 2.0.

All of my USB ports are supposed to be USB 2.0.  This is an Asus P5N72-T Premium mobo.  I've updated the bios, and made sure that USB 2.0 is selected in the bios set-up.  I am using Win XP SP3.  According to the Microsoft website, there was a known issue with XP supporting USB 2.0 on the Asus motherboards, but it was supposed to have been fixed in SP1.

I realize that this is probably more of a Windows question than a DAQ question, but I've spent the entire afternoon on the Microsoft, Asus, and other websites.  Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Ed

Edward Motts
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(9,814 Views)

I would recommend checking in the Windows Device Manager to make sure that your Enhanced Host Controller (which is responsible for USB 2.0 communication) is enabled.  You should see something like this:

Capture.PNG

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
Message 2 of 23
(9,790 Views)

Seth B,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I have an enhanced host controller running.  Last night I tried to uninstall it and let it reinstall, which was successful--but Windows still reports "This device can perform faster."

This morning I tried the USB-6008 on my work computer, and it installs without any error messages.  I'm beginning to suspect a problem with the motherboard.  The USB ports have always been a bit flakey.

Ed

Edward Motts
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(9,780 Views)
Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer?

I have a Dell workstation that claims to support USB 2.0 on all ports, but in practice (and in spite of driver and BIOS updates) several ports on the back won't enumerate anything as USB 2.0 (giving me the 'This device can perform faster' message).
——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 4 of 23
(9,759 Views)

bstreiff,

Yes, I've tried all of them.  Even the ones on the motherboard that I have to remove the graphics card to reach.  No joy.

Thanks anyhow.  I'll keep bugging Asus.

Ed

Edward Motts
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(9,752 Views)
It might also help make your case with ASUS if you can find another USB 2.0 device to try as well.  Good luck!
Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(9,730 Views)

I've run into exactly the same thing.. and I've read of others who have too.. It is not the USB ports.. they are fine.. you can prove this by plugging in any newer Flash drive and they don't complain.. I'm not sure where the complaint comes from.. I know that NI has a module called NI USB monitor or something like that.. and maybe it is interpreting this incorrectly.

I have 11 fairly new iMacs all running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise natively and I get this error every time I plug in my USB 6009s (I have 3) or a new USB 6210. (LabView 2009-64 bit, NiDAQ 9.1)

Not sure why.. I have other issues running LabView on these machines.. and maybe it is because of the EFI BIOS that the iMacs run.. but my USB ports are fine.. they are root hubs all with Hi Power (500mA) outputs..

I don't know what module prompts with this message .. and whether it might be related to the NiDAQ drivers .. 

It possibly could be a problem with your motherboard.. but I doubt it..

Dave Crabbe

Nova Scotia Community College 

Message 7 of 23
(9,704 Views)

I've run into exactly the same thing.. and I've read of others who have too.. It is not the USB ports.. they are fine.. you can prove this by plugging in any newer Flash drive and they don't complain.. I'm not sure where the complaint comes from.. I know that NI has a module called NI USB monitor or something like that.. and maybe it is interpreting this incorrectly.

I have 11 fairly new iMacs all running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise natively and I get this error every time I plug in my USB 6009s (I have 3) or a new USB 6210. (LabView 2009-64 bit, NiDAQ 9.1)

Not sure why.. I have other issues running LabView on these machines.. and maybe it is because of the EFI BIOS that the iMacs run.. but my USB ports are fine.. they are root hubs all with Hi Power (500mA) outputs..

I don't know what module prompts with this message .. and whether it might be related to the NiDAQ drivers .. 

It possibly could be a problem with your motherboard.. but I doubt it..

Dave Crabbe

Nova Scotia Community College 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(9,702 Views)

Thanks (and kudos) to all who replied.  I've gotten some suggestions about other things to investigate from people at work, so I will take some time and check those things out before I mark a solution.

If I learn anything, I'll share it with you all.

Ed

Edward Motts
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(9,690 Views)

Where does the device show up in device manager? If it’s plugged into a USB 2.0 port and you “view by connection” you should be able to expand and find your device. As you see in the picture, mu GPIB-USB-HS is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and my mouse and keyboard are USB 1.1.

USB_2.0.png

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 10 of 23
(9,666 Views)