From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6009 Analog Output Timing

I am trying to work out a basic control loop that will increase or decrease the analog output voltage in response to an analog input voltage.  I've worked out the analog input, but I can't seem to get the analog output to work.  I'm using Visual Basic and tried to base my project off of the example "ContGenVoltWfm-IntClk", but I get an error when setting up the sample clock.  Here's an excerpt of what I'm trying to do:

numSampsPerChannel = 250
    ReDim data(numSampsPerChannel)
    amplitude = 2
    desiredSampleClockRate = ((10#) * (250#)) / (5#)
    sampsPerCycle = 250# / 5#
    resultingFrequency = (desiredSampleClockRate) / (sampsPerCycle)

clockEdge = DAQmx_Val_Rising

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxCreateTask("", taskHandle)

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxCreateAOVoltageChan(taskHandle, "Dev1/ao0", _
        "aoChannel", 0, 5, DAQmx_Val_VoltageUnits2_Volts, "")

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxGetTaskNumChans(taskHandle, numChannels)

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming(taskHandle, "", _
        10, clockEdge, DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_ContSamps, 100)

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxWriteAnalogF64(taskHandle, numSampsPerChannel, True, 10#, _
        DAQmx_Val_GroupByScanNumber, data(0), sampsPerChanWritten, ByVal 0&)

I stepped through the code and it gives an error (-200077) on the DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming and DAQmxWriteAnalogF64 commands.
It creates the task and adds a channel with no problems.

Is there an easier way to write to the analog output channel, given what I'm trying to do?  Do I have to use the USB 6009's onboard clock, or can I just maintain an output voltage until a new value is written?  The -200077 error says "Requested value is not a supported value for this property", but I don't really follow what it's trying to tell me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Message Edited by sdewey on 01-03-2006 04:41 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,075 Views)
Shawn,

The USB 6009 has no internal sample clock, which is why you get that error. It is only capable of doing software-timed acquisition/generation. It will maintain an output value until a new value is written.
--
Michael P
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,053 Views)

Thanks Michael,

I ended up using a much simpler section of code:

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxCreateTask("", taskHandle)

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxCreateAOVoltageChan(taskHandle, "Dev1/ao0", _
        "aoChannel", 0, 5, DAQmx_Val_VoltageUnits2_Volts, "")

DAQmxErrChk DAQmxWriteAnalogScalarF64(taskHandle, True, 10, AOut, ByVal 0&)

And it seems to work well.  I was hoping to clean it up a bit and tried to pull the DAQmxCreateTask command out of the control loop, but it doesn't seem to work if a new task isn't created each time a new value is written.

Does it have to create a new task each time?  Does it automatically clear the last task after it writes the new value?

-Shawn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,046 Views)

Shawn,

Try putting a DAQmxBaseStartTask before the DAQmxWriteAnalogScalarF64. You shouldn't have to create the task over and over.

--
Michael P
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,041 Views)