From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPDIF capture

Are there any hardware options for SPDIF capture that dont require the FPGA toolbox, something using DAQmx perhaps?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,031 Views)

Hi j.collins,

From my research on options for SPDIF, along with other Digital Audio interfaces, the best option includes NI AudioMASTER with NI PXI/PCI 781xR/783xR hardware. Here is a pretty comprehensive overview regarding NI AudioMASTER for Analog and Digital Audio.

I am not sure the speeds of the SPDIF signal you will be testing, but if you could get the SPDIF signal to a BNC cable it is feasible, with post-processing, that the signal could be measured with a counter or HSDIO card. I also want to warn you that this is not documented in any KnowledgeBase article or resource I was able to find.

Sam Burhans
Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,951 Views)

The PCI-7813R and the NI CB-2180 look like a good pair, but is it required that I purchase the AudioMaster software?  It would appear that the CB-2180 is only $1200 and the PCI-7813R is $2500, yet the audio master suite is $10k.  I dont really need any of the audio analysis software, I only need to ability to get SPDIF data into labview.

It looks as though I cannot purchase the CB-2180 on its own.  As an alternative I could purchase a PCI-7813R and provide my own electrical interface, but in that case would I need the FPGA add on for labview to compile the SPDIF example code for it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,933 Views)

j.collins,

Yes, I believe you would need to use the LabVIEW FPGA Module in order to program the NI PCI-7813R. At least that is what I deduce from the NI PCI-7813R product page. It may be worthwhile double-checking this information in the LabVIEW FPGA forum.

Sam Burhans
Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,899 Views)
Hey all, most information here is already correct. The current NI solution for capturing SPDIF requires the CB-2180/2181, a PXI-7813R and the AudioMASTER Digital software. To be clear, there is also a DigAudio API included with the purchase of the AudioMASTER Digital software that will allow you to capture in LabVIEW without the need for the AudioMASTER interface. The API performs very similarly to DAQmx.

To also be clear, the price you mentioned includes the 7813R as well as AudioMASTER Digital, it is only sold as a package: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/206929 .

Finally, you are welcome to build your own solution using NI products, but we will not be able to support the use of the CB-2180/81 if not used with the 7813R and AudioMASTER Digital software.

Hope this helps.
Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,878 Views)

Hello,

Do you have found a solution without using the AudioMaster?

It could be very usefull!

Laurine

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,492 Views)

Laurine, there is currently no native NI solution for SPDIF outside of the option mentioned above.  It is possible to build your own using other NI high speed digital hardware.  Alternatively, for some SPDIF tests, using an SPDIF to analog converter along with a analog board like the the 4461 or 4463 is sufficient.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,488 Views)