cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redistributing NI-DAQ drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have already asked as a reply to an existing post, but did not get any answer and am doubtful about my assumptions:

I am developing for a client an application in C#.

Bringing in these two files:

• NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll
  • NationalInstruments.Common.dll

along in my installer seems to work, as in, we don't need to install the NI-DAQ driver manually:

However what I am puzzled about it: is it the proper way, both legally and technically , to do it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lechapelaing

@lechapelaing wrote:

Hi,

I have already asked as a reply to an existing post, but did not get any answer and am doubtful about my assumptions:

I am developing for a client an application in C#.

Bringing in these two files:

• NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll
  • NationalInstruments.Common.dll

along in my installer seems to work, as in, we don't need to install the NI-DAQ driver manually:

However what I am puzzled about it: is it the proper way, both legally and technically , to do it?

Thank you!

I am not a legal expert.  I have never run into problems distributing an application that used DAQmx as a dependency.  NI would really be shooting themselves in the foot if the required a fee for redistribution of the one driver that makes about 80% of their hardware sales work.  Yes, redistribution by including DAQmx in the installer you build will pick up any EULAs that also need to be distributed.  That is the "Right Way"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 3
(2,159 Views)

Thank you very much, Jeff!

Good news as I was not looking forward chaining the installers:

• WiX is complicated
  • I couldn't automate the download as logging in the NI website is required.
    So I was still a bit in the dark as of whether it was right to download it myself and then include in our package; not to mention its size.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,136 Views)