From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading and Writing TDM/TDMS Files

Is there an example for modifying headers of TDMS files with the TDM C DLL? I can read the data just fine.  And, there are examples provided for creating new files/channels.  But what about modifying existing groupchannel parameters? 

In particular, I am interesting in using MATLAB to set a channel name.  From the header file, I understand I should use the DDC_SetChannelPropertyV and that the property should be "name."

<code>

int __stdcall DDC_SetChannelPropertyV (DDCChannelHandle channel,
                                       const char *property,
                                       va_list args);

</code>

I am getting hung up on va_list.  I understand this is dependent on the parameter being set, and there are methods to create additional parameters.  For exmaple, must I submit a length or data type along with my string?  Could someone just explicitly list the args and types for the known parameters:

<code>

// Channel property constants
#define DDC_CHANNEL_NAME                "name"                // Name
#define DDC_CHANNEL_DESCRIPTION            "description"        // Description
#define DDC_CHANNEL_UNIT_STRING            "unit_string"        // Unit String
#define DDC_CHANNEL_MINIMUM                "minimum"            // Minimum
#define DDC_CHANNEL_MAXIMUM                "maximum"            // Maximum

</code>

Writing out a "c" function call to the function above would be a bonus.  I figure if I know what they are, I can modify the *.h file to get MATLAB to understand the data type expected by the DLL.  As it is, all I can get MATLAB to do is crash.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,580 Views)

Hello allbusiness,

Are you using hardware that you got from National Insrtuments?  If so, what is the model number of your hardware?

Best wishes,

Wallace F.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,557 Views)

USB-6255 BNC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,554 Views)

Hello allbusiness,

If you are programming in C, you would have to make separate function calls for each DDC channel property that you would want to set.  For example, a function call to set the DDC channel name to My DDC Channel might look like this...

int    DDC_SetChannelProperty (DDCChannelHandle channel, DDC_Channel_Name, My DDC Channel);

Regards,

Wallace F.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,481 Views)

Dear all

I am facing a similar problem.

I am creating TDMS files with matlab (similar to the example http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A9094170BAC9A0EC862572E300352CBD) using the 64-bit version of the TDM-C-DLL that can be found here: http://ni.intellisurvey.com/run/2007codelicenseagree

I would like to add a property to my TDMS file. I have tried using

DDC_CreateFilePropertyV and DDC_SetFilePropertyV

<code>

calllib('nilibddc','DDC_CreateFilePropertyV',pfile.Value, libpointer('stringPtr','mypropertyname'),'DDC_Double', num2str(16));
</code>

without success (depending on the data type either matlab crashes or the proporty is set to a wrong value). I'm not sure if I am correctly passing the required "va_list" (last argument) via matlab.

Using "DDC_CreateFileProperty" (without "V") might solve my problem. However, this function is not implemented in the 64-bit version of the TDM-C_DLL.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Bertram

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,103 Views)

Howdy Bertram!

I need to begin this by saying that the TDM DLL is provided as is and without official support so the amount of help I can give is very limited.  I only have access to the same documentation you have from downloading the TDM-C-DLL files you linked.

That being said, I did glance over the included help documentation and the header file.  I did not see any reference to DDC_CreateFilePropertyV in the help doc, though it did appear in the header file.

Why did you chose to use the "V" version of that function?

Where do you see/how do you know that the "non-V" version of the function is not implemented in the 64-bit version of the DLL?

Have you tried using the DDC_CreateFilePropertyDouble() function instead since you are trying to create a double?

I apologize that I don't have a deeper insight into this library.

Regards,

Barron
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,066 Views)

Hello Barron

Thanks for your fast reply!

All functions are actually implemented for the 64-bit Version. However, the matlab function 'calllib' does not work with the header file (nilibddc.h) provided with the 2010 version (64-bit and 32-bit). Instead I had used the reduced header file (nilibddc_m.h) that came along with the matlab TDMS example. This works, but not all methods are available.

I now solved the problem by adding the type-safe DDC_CreateFilePropertyDouble() etc. that you suggested to the header file - (adding DDC_CreateFileProperty(..) to the header file will cause matlab to crash). I attached the new header file for other users.

Thanks again - your reply was of great help 🙂

Greetings,

Bertram

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,037 Views)

Awesome! I'm glad to know that worked! Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting your modified header file for others to use in future.

Regards,

Barron
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,014 Views)

I am trying to write TDM/TDMS files using nilibddc.dll on an old Visual C6 project (that I cant afford to update at this time) under Windows XP.

I am using an older version of the nilibddc.dll (8.6.0.100) and it works if I ignore the error message (-6202) I get from nilibddc.dll/DDC_CreateChannelGroupPropertyTimestampComponents().

I am making all the other calls as shown in the example libary code.

And I am providing the argument types as called for in the header so I am completely puzzled by this behaviour.

Not sure I should ignore the error message but I dont know what to do to fix this.

Anyone else run into this out there?

Cheers,

Don

PS. I tried using the latest library but had a link error I couldnt figure out on VC6.0.

nilibddc.lib(implib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie

nilibddc.lib(implib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4

Debug/Test TDM.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,611 Views)

I figured this out myself ... in case anyone else runs into this.

I didnt realize that there are specific property tags - i found noticed the string "DDC_Timestamp" referred to in the only references I could find and tried it instead of my own property name ...

sprintf(szCHANNEL_NAME,"DDC_Timestamp"); // y160618 Note: when this was "Time Recorded", the

// DDC_CreateChannelGroupPropertyTimestampComponents() func returned -6202
        ddcError = DDC_CreateChannelGroupPropertyTimestampComponents (hgroup,
                                                                  szCHANNEL_NAME,
                                                                  (unsigned int)year,
                                                                  (unsigned int)month,
                                                                  (unsigned int)days,
                                                                  (unsigned int)hours,
                                                                  (unsigned int)minutes,
                                                                  (unsigned int)wholeseconds,
                                                                  (double)fractionseconds);

Thanks to anyone who notices this posting and I hope my answer helps someone.

Don

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,607 Views)