From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information about DAQ properties

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am William, a student from Belgium (measurement and control techniques). For my thesis in June, I need to make a comparison between the USB 6008/6008 and the myDAQ-device. I should do this based on the specifications of the devices. The several specifications I have found in the user manuals are very interesting but I don't know what they mean. Can somebody explain me what " timing resolution", "in- and output resolution" and "direction control". Are there simple experiments with Labview to show the several difference between both DAQ devices?  

with friendly regards,

William

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,071 Views)

Hello William,

I'll start in the opposite order.

In the following document you already can find some more information:

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-218/lang/en

Direction Control (for digital I/O) indicates in this case that your digital lines can be programmed to be an input or an output.

For more information about what analog input and analog ouput resolution means I would suggest you to have a look at the following document:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4439#2

It also contains a lot more information regarding specifications.

The timing resolution has to do with the timebase/base clock that is used to derive the sample clock.

Are these terms familiar to you?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
Message 2 of 8
(3,054 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I should defenitly integrate this information in my thesis. Are there experiments with labview that shows these difference ? I will specify my question with an example: is it possible to show with an experiment in labview the difference of the "timing resolution" between the myDAQ and the USB 6008/6009 device? 

Thanks again,

William 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,038 Views)

I would suggest that you first learn the basics of A/D and D/A conversion. Once you have this information, several basic experiments should be pretty obvious.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,025 Views)
Hi Dennis,

I understand your reaction completely but i just wanted tot ask it, because my teacher said that i must integrate little experiments wit labview tot show the possible difference. But you're absolutely right, i must be understand he basics first

Friendly regards,
William

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,011 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author William Dirix

Hello William,

I don't directly know of specific tests regarding time resolution comparison for these cards.

You're of course always free to do these tests yourself and share them with us. 🙂

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,001 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the answer anyway 🙂 I'm trying to find out or there is a way to proove there is a difference between both DAQ-devices with labview

everybody thanks for your help ! I definitely let you know if I found something

friendly regards ,

William

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,989 Views)

A basic difference is in the analog input sample rates. What do you think you will see if you input a 1 kHz square wave to each, A 10kHz square wave to each, a 100kHz square wave to each? Are you familiar with Nyquist? Did your studies of measurements cover this at all?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,981 Views)