cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information about DAQ properties

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am William, a student from Belgium (measurement and control techniques). For my thesis in June, I need to make a comparison between the USB 6008/6008 and the myDAQ-device. I should do this based on the specifications of the devices. The several specifications I have found in the user manuals are very interesting but I don't know what they mean. Can somebody explain me what " timing resolution", "in- and output resolution" and "direction control". Are there simple experiments with Labview to show the several difference between both DAQ devices?  

with friendly regards,

William

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,083 Views)

Hello William,

I'll start in the opposite order.

In the following document you already can find some more information:

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-218/lang/en

Direction Control (for digital I/O) indicates in this case that your digital lines can be programmed to be an input or an output.

For more information about what analog input and analog ouput resolution means I would suggest you to have a look at the following document:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4439#2

It also contains a lot more information regarding specifications.

The timing resolution has to do with the timebase/base clock that is used to derive the sample clock.

Are these terms familiar to you?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
Message 2 of 8
(3,066 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I should defenitly integrate this information in my thesis. Are there experiments with labview that shows these difference ? I will specify my question with an example: is it possible to show with an experiment in labview the difference of the "timing resolution" between the myDAQ and the USB 6008/6009 device? 

Thanks again,

William 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,050 Views)

I would suggest that you first learn the basics of A/D and D/A conversion. Once you have this information, several basic experiments should be pretty obvious.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,037 Views)
Hi Dennis,

I understand your reaction completely but i just wanted tot ask it, because my teacher said that i must integrate little experiments wit labview tot show the possible difference. But you're absolutely right, i must be understand he basics first

Friendly regards,
William

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,023 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author William Dirix

Hello William,

I don't directly know of specific tests regarding time resolution comparison for these cards.

You're of course always free to do these tests yourself and share them with us. 🙂

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,013 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the answer anyway 🙂 I'm trying to find out or there is a way to proove there is a difference between both DAQ-devices with labview

everybody thanks for your help ! I definitely let you know if I found something

friendly regards ,

William

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,001 Views)

A basic difference is in the analog input sample rates. What do you think you will see if you input a 1 kHz square wave to each, A 10kHz square wave to each, a 100kHz square wave to each? Are you familiar with Nyquist? Did your studies of measurements cover this at all?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,993 Views)