Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the NI USB-6210 on linux

We're trying to get a USB-6210 working on a current and updated linux, and have been so for a few weeks now 🙂

We have tried with a Scientific Linux 7.5, installed libnidaqmx{,-devel} and ni-visa{.-devel} and a whole bunch of other rpms that got pulled in by deps... ~150 of them...

viFindRsrc returns "USB0::0x3923::0x7269::NI-VISA-1002::RAW" amongst a few other things, but we haven't found a way to actually get anything useful out of it.

Does anyone have a short C example that actually reads anything useful from the device? Either with the DAQmx libraries or the VISA libraries, or whatever works 🙂

BTW, If someone has a solution that works on Ubuntu, that would be even better.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,808 Views)

Hi 🙂

For USB device support on Linux, there is NI-DAQmx Base, which is a separate driver from NI-DAQmx. If you have VISA already installed and detecting the raw device, then I wouldn't expect any surprises installing NI-DAQmx Base.

The newest version is 15.0 -- http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-base-15.0/5644/en/

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,792 Views)

Yes, but 15.0 is too old. It won't work with any of the current versions of the distros that is supported. Can't remember the exact incompatibilities with Scientific Linux 7.5, but DAQmx base depended on library versions that isn't supported anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,786 Views)

Yes, but 15.0 is too old. It won't work with any of the current versions of the distros that is supported. Can't remember the exact incompatibilities with Scientific Linux 7.5, but DAQmx base depended on library versions that isn't supported anymore.

I hear that -- probably the C++ runtime and a few graphics packages.

Unfortunately, NI-DAQmx Base is the only driver that supports USB DAQ devices on Linux, and so it looks like you've hit a hard stop until the next version is released. Can you use an older distro in the mean time?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,779 Views)

Have now tried to use SL6, which seems to have compatible libraries and kernels.

But now i only get:

"DAQmxBase Error -200284: <err>Some or all of the samples requested have not yet been acquired.

To wait for the samples to become available use a longer read timeout or read later in your program. To make the samples available sooner, increase the sample rate."

From the test programs... I do get the corect serial number out of my device, so it seems to be talking (at least a bit)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,733 Views)