Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I 'Reserve' an Ethernet based cDAQ chassis in software without using MAX?

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I 'Reserve' an Ethernet based cDAQ chassis in software without using MAX?

I am using a cDAQ 9188 with the Ethernet interface. It works quite well, but the setup is a bit more than what I like for the end users. Users first make go into MAX and make establish a connection. After that, users must 'Reserve' the chassis to ensure access to it. This isn't a problem except I have yet to find a way to do it within G code. I would rather not include in my documentation a series of steps demanding that the user go into MAX everytime they want to turn on the system. I would rather it be comparable to a USB DAQ experience where it just works.

Any examples out there or suggests on Properties, Methods, or VIs to use for my situation?

Message 1 of 8
(6,241 Views)

Re: How do I 'Reserve' an Ethernet based cDAQ chassis in software without using MAX?

As a note:

http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/setuphardware/dataacquisition/compactdaq.htm

See section: Configuring NI-DAQmx for NI CompactDAQ Ethernet Chassis

I want to do that, but in software. without openning MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,240 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean-user
08-27-2015 04:09 PM

Re: How do I 'Reserve' an Ethernet based cDAQ chassis in software without using MAX?

You'll want to use the DAQmx Reserve Network Device.vi, under Measurement I/O -> DAQmx - Data Acquisition -> DAQmx Advanced -> System Setup.

23968i1EFEEA9682DF3755

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/virtualbench · ni.com/daq
Message 3 of 8
(6,235 Views)

There are also shipping examples that show these functions in action in the Example Finder.

Hardware Input and Output » DAQmx » Configuration » Network DAQ - Basic Configuration or Network DAQ - Advanced Configuration if you also want to add the chassis programmatically.

Seth B.
Senior Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Developer

“Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.”- Scott Adams
Message 4 of 8
(6,230 Views)

Thank you both. I searched and managed to miss these things some how.

It looks like I'd need DAQmx 9.2 as well as Silverlight to run those actions, am I correct? That is, it doesn't depend upon the version of LabView (except for significantly old versions, I suppose).

This will help make my system much more user friendly. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,227 Views)

Yes, you need DAQmx 9.2 for the programmatic add/reserve (with the VIs). You need DAQmx 9.2 at a minimum in order to use the cDAQ-9188 anyway.

It's not dependent on version of LabVIEW (aside from being a version of LabVIEW supported by DAQmx 9.2, of course).

You do not need Silverlight to use the VIs, though; you only need Silverlight for configuring the device from within MAX, or via the web interface.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/virtualbench · ni.com/daq
Message 6 of 8
(6,223 Views)

Is there any way to do this from C#?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,691 Views)

Hi raphaelb,

Check out the AddNetworkDevice and ReserveNetworkDevice methods in Measurement Studio. The help document should have more information on those.

Also, this post was marked resolved almost 5 years ago! If you have more questions about this I suggest you make a new post in the Measurement Studio Thread.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,654 Views)