Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ - Brewery

Hello NI community,

I'm brand new here and would like to introduce myself and give you some info about our project. I am currently studying for my masters and we are going to set up a small brewery in our university. The reasons for this are scientific as well as a passion for brewing. We are in a cooperation with a private beer manufactory that will support us with all the brewery equipment (brewhouse etc.) . The goal is to monitor the equipment and also at best to make it online controllable. Also the complete data of the brewing process should always be stored. Enclosed you will find an overview of the sensors and signals we want to process.

To my questions, if you were building a brewery DAQ system, what components would you install from NI?
We want to build a LabView program to track the entire brewing process and certainly want to tie it into a database for a Big Data project.

I'm just getting into the topic, but some discussion on the components and how you guys would install/plan a DAQ would be super helpful to me.

I would have thought of a USB-6255 or similar but how do I route all the signals collectively to the USB-6255.

I would be very happy and remain with kind regards
Lorenz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,247 Views)

Looks like you've got a big system to put together and there are a lot of current loop sensors/actuators.

USB-6255 is not best suited for current loop sensors/actuators. Based on this exhaustive list of items to control and monitor, you need a lot better instrument selection, typically a cDAQ with a lot of modules.

Do you have a specific budget? Who is going to do the wiring and write the application?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,207 Views)

Thank you Santo_13 for the quick feedback.

Yes, it is a lot of signals. I already thought that the USB-6255 is too small. Basically the automation is controlled with Siemens products of the S7 series.

The wiring is done by colleagues and me, but the programming is outsourced or it is done by several students as a project. (We are looking for a good offer).

The budget for the DAQ is still open at the moment and it is about the general setup for an expandable DAQ system. Of course we should not plan a Rolls-Royce DAQ system, but it should also not be a FIAT with manual window regulators.

Maybe you could help me and give a rough overview of what we need? Maybe you know a good book or manual where DAQ setups are described.

I am very grateful for every help and it helps me a lot.

Thanks and kind regards
Lorenz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,198 Views)
Message 4 of 6
(1,192 Views)

Thank you very much Santhosh.

Perfect articles to start with, I will look into it right away.
May I contact you again in this forum should I have any questions again?

With best regards

Lorenz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,180 Views)

You can post your queries or progress in this thread and anyone on this forum will be able to contribute.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,172 Views)