From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control solenoid valve, which module should I select ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone !

I need to build an application with Labview with HMI etc...and I also need to control 3 solenoid valves.
I have the choice for the type and I was thinking of using those one :

SMC VT307 with 24Vdc power consumption 5W

To control them I identified : 
cRIO-9481 with USB-9162

Is this a good choice  ? Because I'm wondering if this USB device can give enough power to control the valves, as I don't see any external power supply on the USB device ?

If you think about a better choice, your proposal will be welcome.

Thanks for all in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,626 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author remvu

All it needs more is a 24V powersupply.

You should choose solenoid valves with a build in snubber circuit or free running diode to protect the relays from the turn off spark you get when turning off an inductive load.

This protection will increase the turn off time (some ms)  of the valve (just in case that this matter 😉 )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 12
(5,619 Views)

Turn off time is not really important.
I want to build something as simple as possible.

So sorry Henrik Volkers but I don't really understand if the hardware I have selected is suitable to control those valves ?
The 24V will be provide by the cRIO-9481 with USB-9162 without external power supply ?

Sorry I'm not really familiar with the hardware.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,609 Views)

You will need a seperate 24VDC power supply to power the solenoid.

Tim
GHSP
Message 4 of 12
(5,604 Views)

Ok

So basically what is the schematic ?

3 CHa of the NI 9481 are connected to the 24V power supply positive 

3 CHb go to the positive of the solenoid valves

Negative of solenoid valve to the negative of the power supply.

Does the negative need to be connected to the NI 9481 somewhere as well ?

And about the power supply, I have one here which is 24V, 2.5A is there a limit to not arm the NI device ?

Thanks again guys it helps a lot

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,597 Views)

You will wire the 24VDC power supply so that the ground is connedted to the solenoid ground and the 24Vdc is wired throught he relay module. The relay module should provide protection for the DAQ system. I usually try to electronically isolate my solenoids from my system so I do not see spicks back through when I am measuring something with a sensor. If you are not measuring something then it probably is not a problem.

Tim
GHSP
Message 6 of 12
(5,594 Views)

Ok, so what I wrote above was finally correct Smiley Wink

No I don't need to measure.

I think I have my setup. 

I will order the NI devices.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,590 Views)

Can the NI PS-17 Power Supply be used for the solenoid valve power? Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,939 Views)

I would expect that would be big enought to power most anything that you want to run. You need to look at the power consumption for the solenoids that you are looking to control and add it up. You could probably get a smaller and cheaper power supply somewhere else. Accopain, Rhino, Analog Devices or any other power supplier.

Do the homework and the math and get what you need not what is avaliable through NI.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,919 Views)

Thanks, one more question though, I don't need the extra power supply if I use a 120 VAC solenoid valve and draw power from mains, right? Thanks!!

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,910 Views)