Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect myRIO to NI USB DAQ Board

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a NI USB DAQ board, specifically NI USB-6212, to NI myRIO? I am working in a project which needs more analog /digital inputs and outputs.

Theoretically, the USB DAQ is accessible through APIs available both in C and LabVIEW. Are there APIs to do the same thing but embedded in the myRIO? A sort of driver, I guess.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,353 Views)

I don't have time to test it now, but I would imagine that if you can get DAQmx installed on the myRIO, then it should work.  I'm not sure how setting up of the device would work from there though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 12
(6,344 Views)
Hi friend,

Awesome news. When you expect to test it? Can I help in something? Have you already installed DAQmx on the myRIO or know how to do it?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,338 Views)

Hi FilipeTaveiros,

it will probably not work because DAQmx drivers are not supported on RT Linux.

Best regards,

CaravagGIO

Message 4 of 12
(6,283 Views)

@CaravagGIO wrote:

Hi FilipeTaveiros,

it will probably not work because DAQmx drivers are not supported on RT Linux.

Best regards,

CaravagGIO

And that's what I thought the kicker would be.  Just never found that time to try.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,280 Views)

I suspect it is more complicated than this.  I mean how big is a DAQmx driver install for LabVIEW?  A couple GB?  Sure that adds a bunch of IDE stuff that isn't needed but how much room is on the myRIO?  I didn't think it was much, I thought it was on the order of a couple hundred MB.

Then on top of the drivers not being compiled for ARM.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,214 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I suspect it is more complicated than this.  I mean how big is a DAQmx driver install for LabVIEW?  A couple GB?  Sure that adds a bunch of IDE stuff that isn't needed but how much room is on the myRIO?  I didn't think it was much, I thought it was on the order of a couple hundred MB.

If you want to take it a step further, DAQmx does not even work on Linux.  DAQmx Base will, but who knows what capability that has.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,210 Views)

Runtime drivers has about 150MB and myRIO has 256MB of nonvalatile memory, maybe it can fit there. OS could be bigger problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,204 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

If you want to take it a step further, DAQmx does not even work on Linux.  DAQmx Base will, but who knows what capability that has.

According to this PAPER, the specific board I am trying to connect to myRIO is supported by DAQmx Base 3.6.

@Hooovahh wrote:

I believe once it is installed on the device, the drivers are recompiled. Anyone more experienced can explain better?

Therefore, I think it is worth trying. I would really appreciate some guidance. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,127 Views)

@FilipeTaveiros wrote:

I believe once it is installed on the device, the drivers are recompiled. 

You are mistaken, the source to the DAQmx drivers are not installed, and therefor cannot be recompiled to some other platform.  Only binary distributions of the drivers exist.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,122 Views)