From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery - Reduce output amperage but maintain voltage

I have a device that operates at 12V and 2 amps. I would like to use a battery, like a car battery, and shunt the amperage so that I achieve the output needed by the device. Can you suggest a circuit that would accomplish this?

Thanks  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(30,406 Views)

Your question does not make sense. Your device will have an equivalent resistance of 12 V/2 A = 6 ohms. The battery produces a voltage that is approximately 12 V, depending on its state of charge. Its output current will be determined by its actual voltage divided by the resistance of the load.

Real batteries have an internal resistance which appears to be in series with an ideal voltage source. But for a car battery that resistance is typically a small fraction of an ohm and will not be significant until you draw several tens of amperes or more.

Are you looking for a voltage regulator to maintain exactly 12.0 V from a lead acid battery? Something else?

Lynn

Message 2 of 10
(30,395 Views)

Hi Lynn

Yes, I am seeking a constant 12V from a lead acid battery.

Thanks    

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(30,393 Views)

That is not easy. The problem is that the battery voltage can vary from about 14.4 V while charging down to <11 V while discharging, especially under heavy load or when nearly completely discharged.

Standard linear regulators can only produce output voltages lower than their input voltages.  This is true for both series and shunt regulators. Some switching regulators (buck/boost types) can be designed to either decrease or increase the votlage from input to output.  The design of such circuits is not trivial. The inductors may need to be custom designs, depending on the exact specifications.

If you can limit operation to times when the battery voltage is above ~12.6 V, you could build a low-dropout regulator. Unfortunately a 12 V lead-acid battery will drop to 12.6 V very quickly unless the discharge rate is very low. At 2 A it would be below 12.6 V in minutes.  It would likely use a power transistor and an op amp along with a voltage reference. If you need current limiting, additional circuitry would be required.  

Lynn

Message 4 of 10
(30,387 Views)

Thanks Lynn

I understand the issues concerning the battery drawing down below 12V and the 2A pull from the device itself.  While this project now dosen't appear practical I might work if:

a) two 12V batteries in series were placed in series,

b) a low drop-out regulator was introduced (and probably the additional circuitry cause a steady 12V), and

c) understood the draw characteristics of the device - that is, how much current is drawn as the device goes through its cycle. The device is be a motion detecting video camera that is wireless - that is network addressible - has its own ip address. It may be that it has a very low draw when there is no motion.

Do you think the above might be doable?

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(30,376 Views)

Lynn,

Placing the batteries in series will give you ~24 volts.  You will still run into all the same issues regulating this to 12V, though with the propery regulation circuitry, you should be fine.  

Regards,

Shane C

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(30,345 Views)

Thanks, all!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(30,340 Views)

Shane,

I started a post saying that but got interupted.

Gary,

An LM350 with a few resistors and capacitors should work well with two batteries in series.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(30,325 Views)

I have a similar question, but reading these questions and answers didn't help.  I also have equipment that now uses a "switching" 12v 2amp wall adapter.  I am trying to get completely off-grid and I don't want ANY AC usage.  How can I run my camera and DVR of of my battery bank(36 Sealed 100AH 10 amp batteries) some are hooked 12v parallel and some are hooked 24v series.  My concern is the "switching" aspect of the wall adapter, can the equipment run OK without it and do I need to drop the 10amps to 2 amps?

Message 9 of 10
(15,499 Views)

Don't worry about the "switching" power supply.  That is just the architecture of the regulator used in the adapter.  All you care about is that it puts out 12V.  So as long as your battery bank puts out the 12V and can supply at least 2A, you will be fine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(15,477 Views)