Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Triggering

I need to control galvo scanner in this way.

I have an analog synchro signal from a pulse laser. So I need to read this signal with ni-usb-6363 and synchronize AO to control the galvo (it controlled by analog signal). And I need to get this trigger signal in VI for increment a counter (for increase an angle).

I think I need the Pause Trigger to synchronize AO with signal from laser. Is that right?

I've read about the Analog Trigger Event so I think I can use it to increment a counter in LabVIEW, but I don't know how to get it in VI.

signalFromLaser.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,138 Views)

try Trigger Property Node

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,119 Views)

There are no Events here

taltsutamatu_0-1652952238106.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,113 Views)

I doubt that a Pause Trigger is what you'll want.

The "Analog Comparison Event" is actually an internal digital signal rather than a software-side event you can catch with an Event Structure.  You can use it as a timing or trigger signal for other DAQmx tasks.

I made a quick example I could only test on a simulated device.  You'll need to tweak several things to make it work on your end.  Here I configured AI to be triggered by the ao0 signal from the same multifunction device and also to use the "Analog Comparison Event" as a sample clock for the AI task.

I set up AO to output a continuous sine wave on ao0, and I also configured a counter to count the # of "Analog Comparison Events" seen.

You'll look to trigger AI off the external laser pulse signal, and you'll probably use the "Analog Comparison Event" as a sample clock for your own galvo controlling AO task.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 4 of 6
(1,088 Views)

thanks a lot. Can I ask u another question? How should I generate analog signal by analog trigger? I tried VI from example --> Continuous Output (analog pause trigger), it works, but there are too many signals. I need one impulse per trigger signal, like this:

2022-05-23 101351.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,013 Views)

In the example I posted (msg #4), I use the Analog Comparison Event as a sample clock signal to drive the AI task.  You could use it the exact same way for your AO task to produce 1 output sample per 1 external analog pulse.

Were you able to open it or do I need to save back earlier than LV 2018?

Note that when using an external signal as a sample clock, the best practice is to declare the sample rate to be the highest feasible sample rate you might end up with.  Be aware that this declaration has *no* effect at all on the actual sample timing.  Only the timing of the active edges of the external signal control that.  But your declaration of a rate can affect the buffer size DAQmx sets aside for AI tasks.  (It will also show up as the "dt" value in a waveform, but the "dt" will merely correspond to whatever you declared.  It isn't to be trusted.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(959 Views)