cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9264 controlling multiple 3-wire devices

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I think I understand how to setup the wiring for my system, but would love an experienced set of eyes.

Hardware:
NI-9264 (10 V AO)

multiple Enfield PFV-W12E01 valves (12V driver, 0-10V signal)

My question is how to setup the grounds. The valve manufacturer says the driver and signal ground are shared, I am not sure if I need to have the 9264 wired to multiple COM's or just one. For now I have paired COMs, but I see the DAQ is not isolated, so I'm thinking I only need to go to ANY COM once perhaps? Here is my understanding, do I need the other 2 COMs?

9264 question.png

I'd appreciate any input on my outputs, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(938 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bgalfond

Your connection is correct, you don't need to connect all the COMs of 9264, just one COM to DC 12V GND is good enough. All AOs share the same COM, it is duplicated per AO to reduce the hassle to merge multiple external COMs.

I believe you're connecting black wire of the valves to the AOs

santo_13_0-1628634827653.png

Looking at the drive capability, keep in mind that it is limited to 16mA in total and 4mA per channel.

santo_13_1-1628635011712.png

At 10V, your valve requires 3mA (which is still under 4mA per channel) but limits you to use maximum 5 valves connected driving 10V at the same time.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 3
(922 Views)

Awesome, this actually made my wiring significantly easier, as I could just put the DC common to its own COM terminal instead of splicing it in to all the individual COMs. We are only running 5 of them, so we should be in the clear. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(883 Views)