From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Ellipse Detection via IMAQ Detect Shapes VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a problem with the IMAQ Detect shapes VI (in particular with detecting ellipses).
I am trying to fit an ellipse to an elliptical droplet after applying a certain threshold to the image, but the detect ellipses VI always only produces circles as the best and only result. The used images show a relatively low resolution owing to the camera - maybe that's the reason.

I tried all input parameter combination I could think of. Does anyone have an idea or solution to fix this?
I will attach my VI and an example image for clarification.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS. please ignore my weird event structure for clearing the stored images - I am pretty new to labview and couldn't think of a better way to clear memory without the program erasing them as soon as its done with ellipse detection.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,250 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaFl

Yes, the resolution is the problem.

With 10x upsampling (using IMAQ Resample) the results much much better:

Screenshot 2019-04-16 12.41.01.png

(you will need to divide results by 10 to get back to the original size, of course)

Andrey.

Message 2 of 3
(2,227 Views)

I suspected as much, but wanted to avoid data manipulation due to Pixel interpolation if possible.

Seems like I have no other choice.

Thank you very much for your help Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,197 Views)