Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW control of a GoPro camera

Sitting in on a NIWeek session this week on testing of a GOPro camera I have been intrigued by the possibility of connecting with LabVIEW.

I called and chatted with GoPro. There is some open source stuff and I also see there is an iPhone app. iPhone is talking WIFI or BT, so it can be done. 

Specifically I am building a 3 camera simaltaneous video acquisition system.  Would really appreciate any insight on this. I may go back to GoPro and ask them if they would offer up the Phone API and get the command sequence.

LeMur Technology Services, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,339 Views)

Hi GleMunyan

Most likely you will have to call into DLLs to obtain the images from the GOPro cameras. You will definitely need some type of api or command set from GOPro.

Here is an article on how to use bluetooth with LabVIEW: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3260/en/.

If they are using wifi you can create a TCP/IP Visa resource: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/80C28CC795611E4A86256AB100209521.

In any case you can use the IMAQ arraytoimage  vi to convert an array to an IMAQ image.

Let me know how this helps,

Michael Bilyk

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
Message 2 of 9
(9,259 Views)

Hi,

can you post the link for the using of wifi. The link, which you postet before, is broken.

Best regrad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,683 Views)

Hi TUDarmstadtLLX,

The article is called, "How Do I Connect to Ethernet Instruments with NI-VISA?". It isn't specific to GoPro in case that is what you were looking for. If you delete the period off the end of the URL it should fix the link.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
Message 4 of 9
(6,662 Views)

Hi GleMunyan,

Currently, I am looking for the same project you were looking for. I need to sync four GoPro hero black 6 cameras and trigger them using Labview while I am able to sync my other instruments such as micro tensiometers, wire wave gauge, sensors, and ADVs. Now I just need to sync and trigger my cameras by Labview. ANy idea?

Best Regards,

AMANJ

Ph.D. Student!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,747 Views)

I did not solve the problem. My recollection at the time was there were a number of articles of using Python with a GOPRO. I did a quick look again and found this. https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Communicate-mit-GoPro/td-p/3624234. I did not look at the VIs but it may be helpful for you.

Good Luck.

LeMur Technology Services, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,743 Views)
Hi  GleMunyan,

Thank you so much. It is really useful.

Best Regards,

AMANJ

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,741 Views)

Hey AMANJ,

Were you able to make it work? Very curious if you were able to connect multiple GoPros to Labview while it is hooked to other sensors...

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,736 Views)

Hi nifireflan,

Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I see you asked AMANJ a few months ago. I am gambling that he responsed to you directly haha. I too have a need to connect and trigger several GoPro camersa using LabView. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
William

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,339 Views)