From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build an application in LabVIEW 10 including FLIR Thermovision Toolkit 3.3

Hi serendre,

I am using a A40 FLIR to get the spot temp value of the inage to control a heating system with the Analog output DAQ-mx. I tried a simple PID program by sending the obtained temperature value as input to control the heating system with DAQ. But I get the error as

Error -200609 occurred at DAQmx Write (Analog 1D Wfm NChan NSamp).vi:3

Possible reason(s):

Generation cannot be started, because the selected buffer size is too small.

Increase the buffer size.

Selected Buffer Size: 1
Minimum Required Buffer Size: 2

Task Name: _unnamedTask<4>

I tried, but could not solve. Any help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 86
(2,242 Views)

Hi ULfn,

thanks for your support. Finally I got my solution through the FLIR guys. I tried to run the program, but it gives me an error. let me explain my setup and then post the error.

I am using a A40 FLIR to get the spot temp value of the inage to control a heating system with the Analog output DAQ-mx. I tried a simple PID program by sending the obtained temperature value as input to control the heating system with DAQ. But I get the error as

Error -200609 occurred at DAQmx Write (Analog 1D Wfm NChan NSamp).vi:3

Possible reason(s):

Generation cannot be started, because the selected buffer size is too small.

Increase the buffer size.

Selected Buffer Size: 1
Minimum Required Buffer Size: 2

Task Name: _unnamedTask<4>

I tried, but could not solve. Any help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 86
(2,250 Views)

Hi ULfn,

I am trying to control the DAQ AO NI9265 device with the input as a temp value from the camera. Will that work. I am not sure. Tell me your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 86
(2,245 Views)

Nichoo, I can't see why it shouldn't work. I suggest that you test your DAQ hardware stand alone, without the IR camera, with the examples that are provided from NI.

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 86
(2,229 Views)

Hei Ulf,

I am a student writting my diploma thesis. I have to heat a Polycarbonate plate with heaters. My idea is to control the heaters with the images taken by an IR-camera to get a homogenius temperature in the plate during the heating process. Is it possible to hend over some pre defined temperaturepoints to the control in LabView with the ThermoVision Toolkit every 2seconds? I read the manual and think this would be possible but I want to have a final answer to it befor I suggest my idea to my headmaster. Unfortunatly the Flir support in Germany didn't even knew that they have the software!

Regards from Munich 

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 86
(2,209 Views)

Hi Gustav344

I think it is possible. Things to consider:

- You have to make sure that the polycarbonate material is measurable in IR-spectrum.

- Check the emissivity. If you have low emissivity you have to make sure that the surroundings doesn't influence the measurements

- How fast and how long do you need to control the heater, the IR-camera need to recalibrate itself every 15 min(calibration takes a couple of seconds)

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 86
(2,208 Views)

Hi Ulf,

thx for the fast reply!

The material is measurable, I took already some images and they look promising.

The emissivity(0.91) is known and was defined by a german university for the material.

I hope that the heating process is finished within 15 minutes to avoid a conflic with the recalibration of the camera.

I was just concerned if it is possible to send the tempreture of some points from the image to the control in labview. So that the thermal image is the input for the control.

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 86
(2,204 Views)

Hi gustav344,

I'm not personally familiar with the FLIR toolkit, but I'd imagine that there should be some functions that return a numeric temperature value, or at least some documentation that will allow you to do the conversion from the pixel values to actual temperatures. Then, you can use the IR camera as the temperature reading in a feedback loop (e.g. Building a PID Controller with Your Computer) to control the output of the heater.

In short, I do think this is possible, and should be relatively simple if you have the necessary documentation from FLIR.

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 86
(2,187 Views)

Hello Everybody,

I was gone for few weeks, I'm seeing only now this new chalenge. From what I already did I can say that yes, is very doable to use the IR image as an input for a temperature control.

In my application  I use a 700x450 mm heater. Then I select 9 (but could be any number) heat zones, various sizes and placements. For each of them I'm getting the MAX, MIN and AVERAGE temperature. This numbers I'm using for some analysis (more a quality) of the heater.

But obvious these numbers could be used to control temperature (a PID might be too demanding, but a simple timed loop will do a fairly good job).

I use a Flir A615 camera for a very good resolution at this size of the heater ( I wanted to detect any hot or cold spot, down to a 1x1 mm resolution ).

I can't give the program as a whole but I could give the portions of it without any problem, just let me know if anybody is interested and what.

Regards,

"serendre"

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 86
(2,183 Views)

Hello,

thanks for the help everyone! I will suggest it to my headmaster let's see what he thinks about it, because the software costs 1000€ and they do not offer student versions unfortunatlly! 

Regards from Germany 

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 86
(2,178 Views)