From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't set PixelFormat on PointGrey Flea3 using IMAXdx

I'm attempting to change the pixel format on a PointGrey Flea3 camera using IMAQdx. I've been able to change other attributes like frame rate and exposure with no problem, but I'm totally stumped by this.

Here is the UI event code that should change the pixel format.

UserEventHandler.PNG

I obtained the list of strings that I copied and pasted to populate the pixel format enum from the driver, like so:

Available pixel format code.PNG

And I got the following list:

Available pixel formats.PNG

But when I actually set the pixel format to any of these options, I get this error:

Pixel Format Error.PNG

The camera acquires with no problem - it starts in the default pixel format of "Bayer RG 8".

I'm using Labview 2013sp1. Let me know if you need more information.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time and help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,813 Views)

1) Can you change the attribute in MAX?

2) If so, try to set the attribute in the Vision Acquisition Express and let it generate the configuration code.

3) Some attributes are not accessible in certain states of camera. Are you trying to set these attributes during acquisition?

Message 2 of 5
(2,789 Views)

1) I should have mentioned that yes, I can successfully change the attribute in MAX.

2) I haven't heard of Vision Acquisition Express. I will look into that and report back!

3) I am trying to set the attribute during acquisition. I didn't think that would be a problem, since I can do the same in MAX. Do you think MAX is stopping acquisition, changing the attribute, then restarting acquisition? I hadn't considered that.

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,785 Views)

If you use the Acquisition tab in MAX to change the PixelFormat, it does restart the acquisition automatically. If you try to set it via the Camera Attributes tree tab, you’ll see that attribute is disabled while the acquisition is running since it cannot be changed then.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,748 Views)

2) Try Vision Acquisition Express and converting it into code (right click - open Front Panel). It generates configuration strings and I have used that in the past when having troubles with attributes.

I'm no big fan of Express VIs (despite developing one of my own), but this one is pretty good and serves 95% of my use cases.
It has one small mistake (when you change a parameter and restart the program, it doesn't retain the new configuration, even if the front panel gives the impression that you did this). That's easily fixed once you look through the generated code, but I just want to give a word of warning.

3) This is very likely your problem. The pixel format is one of those core attributes that can affect the amount of data being transmitted . I'm not 100% sure it is mandatory, but it would make a lot of sense to me to restart the camera stream channel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,743 Views)