Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC client support for Woodhead SST DH plus server

I have been trying for the last few weeks to connect Lookout (V5.0) to a Woodhead PCI DH plus card using the OPC client object but have not been succesful. NI tech support suggested using Server Explorer to confirm the connection and this works fine. They also suggested using a demo server to test the Lookout connections and I have tried the SST demo server as well as the OPC compliant Softing demo server, but Lookout will only work with the Softing demo server. NI tech support has tried to help, but has not been able to figure this out. Based on their latest suggestion, I downloaded the Iconics DataSpy program and this works with the SST demo server with no errors. Why does Server Explorer and the Iconics DataSpy work but Lookout will not? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,814 Views)
It sounds  like  you  are trying to use two clients and get them to talk to each other. You need to put a server in the middle and connect each client too the server.
Lookout is an OPC server and a client can look at it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,769 Views)
The Woodhead SST DH+ card is the server and I was trying to use the Lookout Client with no luck at all. The tech support people have tried but have yet to understand why Lookout does not work with this OPC server. Other clients and exploere type products work as well as NI Explorer, but Lookout fails to recognize the server. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,763 Views)

Jack,\

I am facing the same problem now ... were you able to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Wayne

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,405 Views)
The NI support engineers tried to help, but this was never resolved. I even tried Lookout V6, but the same results. All of the OPC "test" or "explorer" programs worked fine, but Lookout did not like the Woodhead card I was using for communicating to an AB PLC. In the short term, I tested and used a Software Toolbox program that could communicate via OPC and log to database using a text file and eventually came into possession of a version of Intellution iFIX and the OPC connectivity was relatively easy to set-up. The Software toolbox software had issues with Windows 2000 on the PC at the time, so I did not use the database option for logging data to an Access database; the text file was easy to setup for what I was collecting data on. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,383 Views)