From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout feezing when com ports become unavailable

Hello,

I am running Lookout v6.7.1.

lookout is controlling 30 temperature controllers on 8 virtual com ports using Modbus. When the power to the temperature controllers is lost there are many alarms that are causing lookout to freeze. I have used a monitor function block to unload the process in this event, but I cannot figure out how to have it automatically re-load the process when the power returns, as the monitor function can no longer see the Modbus function (that process has been unloaded).

Is there another way to prevent lookout from freezing if there are too many alarms?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,175 Views)

If lookout detects x number of communication errors in a y time period it will give the alarm that the "modbus secondary is not responding" . Is there perhaps a way to increase said time period if I see 2 or 3 of these alarms pop up at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,136 Views)

This has been a persistent bug/problem in lookout for years.

Virtual serial ports with slow communication or no response.  Every vendor we have tried (Lantronix, Moxa, Digi, ICP-DAS, etc.) does exactly the same thing in Lookout.  If lookout supported IP-Tunnel, as many softwares do now, it would likely help significantly.  But alas, Lookout is not being updated and this will not happen. 

Also, be aware that trying a Modbus Serial-TCP gateway will present more problems int he way Lookout handles connections and will crash on a commfail, not hang: Crash!  If there is more than one serial device on the IP address, Lookout crashed quite often on poor communications (think radio).

Good luck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,910 Views)