Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout and external database

I am looking at a project that requires Lookout to interface to an external database (SQL Server) running on a remote server.  The reason being that one of the requirements is for the user to be able to manually overwrite some data after it has been logged.  From my research, it appears that I can do "writes" and "reads" from the database using Lookout's SQLExec object.  Anyone have experience doing something similar and what are the "gotcha's" I need to be aware of?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,493 Views)

You cannot overwrite any data stored in Citadel and can make for some very interesting trends if you log with similar times, backdating, invalid PC clock, daylight savings, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,469 Views)

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  My plan is to use the external (MS-SQL Server) database as a "mirror" of Lookout's Citadel DB and use the SQL Server for overwriting the data as needed and generate reports from that DB.

So far, I've set up a test database and created a test process in Lookout to work out the details of implementing this scheme.  I'm using the SQLExec object to interface with the SQL Server DB.  Using this object, I can create/delete tables, write & read, and update records.  This all works great with "static" data that I put directly into the SQLExec object.  When reading records from the SQL Server, I am able to access that data through the data members of the SQLExec object.  What I have not been able to figure out is how to take a data value from a Lookout object and pass that value to the SQL Server DB through the SQLExec object.  Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious, but I cannot find how to do this.  Do you know how this is done?  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,433 Views)